We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Covid Insurance for Canadians

Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
3,857 posts
63 reviews
145 helpful votes
Covid Insurance for Canadians
Save

We have been looking at travelling to Punta Cana for a week in late September. When checking prices, I noticed that Covid Insurance is no longer offered. I contacted my travel agent who told told me that it's pretty much a thing of the past. She told me that you can purchase the "cancel/reschedule for any reason" waivers, but that is only for departing Canada and has no bearing on the return trip.

We are both vaccinated, but I have read stories of fully vaccinated travellers testing positive for their return trip. I understand that the resorts have accommodations for quarantine, but I wanted to ensure we weren't stuck paying twice for a return flight. Apparently that coverage isn't offered? We have full travel medical/cancellation with our charge card, but they do not cover any COVID expenses as the Government has not lifted the "do not travel" advisory. So we'd be covered for a broken leg, but not a missed flight due to a Covid test.

We seem to be stuck between a rock and a hard place. How are other Canadian travellers handling this?

Edited: August 05, 2021, 5:42 am
81 replies to this topic
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
14,853 posts
21 reviews
185 helpful votes
1. Re: Covid Insurance for Canadians
Save

I believe none of the tour operators offer it free but Manulife still offers the COVID pandemic travel insurance.

Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
3,857 posts
63 reviews
145 helpful votes
2. Re: Covid Insurance for Canadians
Save

Yes they do, but my travel agent told me it's been rolled into a full travel policy and it's only valid for trips over 31 days.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
14,853 posts
21 reviews
185 helpful votes
3. Re: Covid Insurance for Canadians
Save

Thanks for pointing it out. Will have to read the fine print. I remember in November RBC did cover COVID so will have to check that too.

Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
3,857 posts
63 reviews
145 helpful votes
4. Re: Covid Insurance for Canadians
Save

Here's the link to the policy. It's under Section 9. Hopefully this link works.

https://www.coverme.com/content/dam/affinity/coverme/english/documents/coverme-covid-19-pandemic-travel-plan-policy.pdf

Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
3,857 posts
63 reviews
145 helpful votes
5. Re: Covid Insurance for Canadians
Save

I checked RBC. Their coverage is gone too. :(

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
14,853 posts
21 reviews
185 helpful votes
6. Re: Covid Insurance for Canadians
Save

Thanks again. I'm not as concerned as I was in November but nice to find options for coverage.

Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
3,857 posts
63 reviews
145 helpful votes
7. Re: Covid Insurance for Canadians
Save

Unfortunately, the coverage we're looking for isn't an option. We have full medical coverage already. We just want coverage in case of a positive test and quarantine before returning to Canada. If you get stuck there, they will not cover changing your return flight unless you've been there 31 days. It sucks.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
14,853 posts
21 reviews
185 helpful votes
8. Re: Covid Insurance for Canadians
Save

Looks like Sunwing currently still include it for packages booked before 9 August and travel until end of October. If anything like last year, there was no coverage when flights resumed and then more and more operators started including it. Not sure if Sunwing will extend this past 9 August or if others will include it as more flights are now scheduled but as cases go down and vaccinations go up, not sure they will include it.

https://www.sunwing.ca/en/covid-19-insurance

Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
3,857 posts
63 reviews
145 helpful votes
9. Re: Covid Insurance for Canadians
Save

Interesting.

It says coverage ends on the day that you were scheduled to return. So if you are quarantined and have to return later, I guess you're out of luck getting reimbursed for your return flight. So much legal mumbo jumbo.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
14,853 posts
21 reviews
185 helpful votes
10. Re: Covid Insurance for Canadians
Save

Yes lots of fine print but had this coverage in November and called them to confirm that extended stay due to COVID was covered. Will see if they extend past 9th or is this it. Interesting that this is still thru Manulife which you pointed out only offered coverage for extended stay.

Reply to: Covid Insurance for Canadians
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Punta Cana
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.