We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel To Punta Cana May, 2021 COVID Safety Is Excellent

Hot Springs...
Level Contributor
13 posts
83 reviews
105 helpful votes
Travel To Punta Cana May, 2021 COVID Safety Is Excellent
Save

My brother and I arrived at the Occidental Punta Cana on May 11. We are fully vaccinated. We were pleased to learn that ALL Occidental Punta Cana employees are vaccinated. Since Occidental is part of the Barcelo Group, I presume that other Barcelo Resorts have the same vaccination program in place.

All employees wear masks. The front desk staff wipe off the counter after the prior guest leaves. Guests are very respectful and wear masks inside restaurants (until seated) and at bars. If you walk up to the bar and order a coke or a drink without a mask, the staff point to their face and ask you to put a mask on.

All and all, the COVID practices are comforting WITHOUT DIMINISHING THE GUEST EXPERIENCE.

12 replies to this topic
murillo
Level Contributor
8,500 posts
3 reviews
19 helpful votes
1. Re: Travel To Punta Cana May, 2021 COVID Safety Is Excellent
Save

do you think all employees families are vaccinated and follow all covid rules as well? you can still get covid after being vaccinated and give it to someone else .

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
14,424 posts
21 reviews
185 helpful votes
2. Re: Travel To Punta Cana May, 2021 COVID Safety Is Excellent
Save

Thanks for sharing HS. Glad to see the resort is doing their best under the current protocols. Hope you're enjoying your holiday.

Virginia
Level Contributor
447 posts
23 reviews
56 helpful votes
3. Re: Travel To Punta Cana May, 2021 COVID Safety Is Excellent
Save

Not only that bomberro but unfortunately they got the AZ vaccine which is only 67% effective and CoronaVac which is around 51% effective. Yes, it is something but don’t let your guard down. To say “safety is excellent” is not correct. We’ve been there and safety wasn’t excellent. It was good.

Level Contributor
113 posts
4. Re: Travel To Punta Cana May, 2021 COVID Safety Is Excellent
Save

Friday 5/14 CDC announced you can not give COIVD to someone if you have been fully vaccinated and after two week of second dose along with mask recommendation everyone focused on the mask part and miss second part after fully vaccinated you can’t be contagious. Yes you can get a lite case of COIVD but not enough to be contagious. It’s on every news channel .

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
14,424 posts
21 reviews
185 helpful votes
5. Re: Travel To Punta Cana May, 2021 COVID Safety Is Excellent
Save

Wahoo I would dare to say safety is as good if not better than in my hometown. Guest in most cases make their own safety by ensuring they wear their masks and social distance while at the resort. To blame the staff and the resorts is not entirely fair.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
23 reviews
20 helpful votes
6. Re: Travel To Punta Cana May, 2021 COVID Safety Is Excellent
Save

The CDC website, updated on 5/16, states:

"COVID-19 vaccines reduce the risk of people spreading COVID-19."

You are much less likely to be able to transmit the virus if you are fully vaccinated, but thus far there is not clear science indicating that it is not possible.

Virginia
Level Contributor
447 posts
23 reviews
56 helpful votes
7. Re: Travel To Punta Cana May, 2021 COVID Safety Is Excellent
Save

Sly.. I’m hardly blaming the staffs. It’s not their fault that the efficacy of their vaccine is low. To make a blanket statement that “it is safe”... is just not true! . Nothing definitely safe now. In Virginia, where I live, all restrictions are going to be dropped on the 28th and the mask mandate for fully vaccinated folks is now gone. I’m fully vaccinated but still don’t feel safe.. yet!

Virginia
Level Contributor
447 posts
23 reviews
56 helpful votes
8. Re: Travel To Punta Cana May, 2021 COVID Safety Is Excellent
Save

Yes you can get and spread Covid while vaccinated! What? Tell my buddy who wound up in the hospital after his 2nd Pfizer vaccine that you can’t get a bad case! He almost wound up on a ventilator! People, please stop telling falsehoods.

Virginia
Level Contributor
447 posts
23 reviews
56 helpful votes
9. Re: Travel To Punta Cana May, 2021 COVID Safety Is Excellent
Save

Yes you can get and spread Covid while vaccinated! What? Tell my buddy who wound up in the hospital after his 2nd Pfizer vaccine that you can’t get a bad case! He almost wound up on a ventilator! People, please stop telling falsehoods.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
14,424 posts
21 reviews
185 helpful votes
10. Re: Travel To Punta Cana May, 2021 COVID Safety Is Excellent
Save

I do agree that it will take a long time to be 100% safe but travelers make a choice visiting any country by traveling. If someone doesn't trust the country's protocols or else, they should not visit. I was there in November and would have already returned if allowed.

Reply to: Travel To Punta Cana May, 2021 COVID Safety Is Excellent
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Punta Cana
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.