We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excellence El Carmen or Bahia Principe Ambar

West Virginia
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
4 helpful votes
Save

We are currently booked to visit EEC later this year, but some friends who are also going to Punta Cana at the same time are trying to convince us to switch resorts to Bahia Principe Ambar. We have stayed at a few Excellence resorts and like the vibe and atmosphere there. Does anyone have any thoughts on the Ambar? It seems to be less expensive than EEC, so are there any downsides to the Ambar? Thanks!

6 replies to this topic
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
14,424 posts
21 reviews
185 helpful votes
1. Re: Excellence El Carmen or Bahia Principe Ambar
Save

EEC at least a couple of levels above Ambar IMO. Why Ambar would be cheaper in price. Ambar is still a nice resort (part of a large complex) but if already booked at EEC, would keep it.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
6,175 posts
37 reviews
128 helpful votes
2. Re: Excellence El Carmen or Bahia Principe Ambar
Save

I agree with Sly. October will be a third trip for us. I don't even like the way the beach chairs are so close together at the Bahia.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
577 posts
3. Re: Excellence El Carmen or Bahia Principe Ambar
Save

We stayed at Ambar twice before we found El Carmen. We had two wonderful holidays at Ambar and have such fond memories of the place, but El Carmen is several levels higher than Ambar in every single aspect. It's pretty sensational.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11,172 posts
10 reviews
126 helpful votes
4. Re: Excellence El Carmen or Bahia Principe Ambar
Save

Yeah, if you'd never stayed at Excellence resorts, you might be fine with Bahia Ambar. But since you have stayed at Excellence resorts, it's likely you will not be happy with Ambar. Bahia is about 10 times the size in terms of rooms / people, with pretty much the same size beach. Hot dogs on a barbecue.

Mark

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
928 posts
29 reviews
143 helpful votes
5. Re: Excellence El Carmen or Bahia Principe Ambar
Save

My first trip to Punta Cana was at the regular Excellence before the last renovation - followed the next year by the Ambar. We had a great time at both but as the rest of the respondents have said - these 2 hotels are not in the same class. I’d goto any Excellence or Finest Hotels over Bahia. - any day.

P C
Ladysmith, Canada
Level Contributor
948 posts
6. Re: Excellence El Carmen or Bahia Principe Ambar
Save

I would agree with Sly and Mark.

Go with Excellence if you are already booked. It is a couple of levels above Ambar.

But, if you want to hang with your close friends, Ambar is still a very nice place.

Have a blast, either way

Reply to: Excellence El Carmen or Bahia Principe Ambar
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Punta Cana
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.