We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tourist health insurance extended.

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
50,738 posts
8 reviews
55 helpful votes
Tourist health insurance extended.
Save

David Collado , Minister of Tourism, explained that the insurance that the Dominican government provides to tourists who visit the country will be extended for another 30 days (May).

She reported that they understand that after those 30 days it will no longer be necessary to maintain it because a large part of Dominicans are already vaccinated, as are those in the tourism sector.

"We understand that such spending can be redirected to another investment in our country," he said.

The official clarified that this will be the last extension to be approved because the reactivation of tourism is going at a good pace.

It is recalled that the insurance is derived from the agreement signed by the Ministry of Tourism ( Mitur ), the Reserve Bank and Reserve Insurance that seeks to take care of the health, well-being and safety of tourists and also promote a recovery sustainable development of the sector, as part of the recovery plan for responsible tourism in the face of Covid-19.

https://tinyurl.com/8cm22wsw

Angie.

11 replies to this topic
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,901 posts
43 reviews
239 helpful votes
1. Re: Tourist health insurance extended.
Save

Good news.

New Berlin...
Level Contributor
59 posts
97 reviews
70 helpful votes
2. Re: Tourist health insurance extended.
Save

Glad to hear this. We are scheduled for a week in late May. Hopefully, we will not need to utilize this but it is good to know it is available.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,901 posts
43 reviews
239 helpful votes
3. Re: Tourist health insurance extended.
Save

Where can you find what it covers. Can't find it.

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
50,738 posts
8 reviews
55 helpful votes
4. Re: Tourist health insurance extended.
Save

bbgamer

All the info was on the Dominican Republic Has It All Tourism Website but when it came to the end of cover at the end of April they took the info off their website and have not updated since it was extended once again. I did copy and paste a paragraph when it was visible though.

<< Temporary travel assistance plan that will include emergency coverage, telemedicine services, lodging for prolonged stays and flight change costs in the event of a Covid-19 infection. This insurance will be provided at no cost to the visitor. >>

Angie.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,901 posts
43 reviews
239 helpful votes
5. Re: Tourist health insurance extended.
Save

Thanks Angie. I saw that description but was looking for a policy. I thought I saw it once but maybe since they just announced this it may get reposted later. I leave in a week lol

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
14,423 posts
21 reviews
185 helpful votes
6. Re: Tourist health insurance extended.
Save

Here is one of the initial announcement with details of the coverage.

https://dr1.com/wordpress/2020/08/26/government-announces-medical-and-trip-protection-insurance-for-all-visitors/

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
50,738 posts
8 reviews
55 helpful votes
7. Re: Tourist health insurance extended.
Save

Sorry for the misunderstanding bbgamer, ahh the actual policy was a pdf link within the paragraph info on the Dominican Republic Has It All Tourism Website, I thought I had saved the link but cannot find it at present.

Angie.

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
50,738 posts
8 reviews
55 helpful votes
8. Re: Tourist health insurance extended.
Save

bbgamer

The pdf policy is back on the Dominican Republic Has It All Tourism Website, here is the link to the policy

https://www.drtravelcenter.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Assistance-Certificate.pdf

Angie.

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
50,738 posts
8 reviews
55 helpful votes
9. Re: Tourist health insurance extended.
Save

Tourist health insurance been extended once again now until July 31st.

Angie

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,901 posts
43 reviews
239 helpful votes
10. Re: Tourist health insurance extended.
Save

Good to hear. Going back in 2 weeks. Not counting on needing it but good to hear its there.

Reply to: Tourist health insurance extended.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Punta Cana
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.