We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just for fun - Rank your top 5 Hotels

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,654 posts
37 reviews
12 helpful votes
Just for fun - Rank your top 5 Hotels
Save

I thought I would lift the mood while we wait on either refunds/reschedules or lower restrictions for those who are not able to fly yet.

Name your Top 5 Hotels - Reasons why you like them optional.

( this will help be indirectly decide for a future stay )

Have a wonderful day everyone and have a great trip to those on their way!

8 replies to this topic
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
18 reviews
45 helpful votes
1. Re: Just for fun - Rank your top 5 Hotels
Save

Is this limited to the DR? :) Doing you one more, adding some cons as well.

DR, they all have good to great food and drinks. Good beaches and service. Some better than others. I usually stick with AOs, but Majestic Mirage I'll make an exception for.

Since the concept is the same at almost all of them, my choice normally ends up being based on the room and the resort features/property/location. My room pick will always be a swimup/swimout so myroom pros /cons based on that. Entertainment pretty much runs the same at these as well. There's a couple more, but you asked for 5. And a disclaimer, currently have a booking at SCC.

Secrets Cap Cana gorgeous beach, exceptional service, huge showers, no wristbands, Cons/ no tubs in any jr suite, only room for 1 lounger at the swimout,swimouts don't have ANY type of tub, including no balcony tub. Has "segregation" of preferred and non preferred. Beach is almost TOO calm, no "surf" to listen to while I lounge on the beach. :) It's a time share property (vacation club)

Excellence El Carmen, nice beach, gorgeous swimouts, hydro tubs in the rooms. NO timeshares. No wristbands. Cons, further from the airport, segregation of club and non club guests.

Excellence Punta Cana see pros/cons for other excellence. EPC actually recently had a renovation/overhaul, so that's another pro.

Majestic Mirage ALL rooms are suites and are huge. Separate living room and another 1/2 bath in all rooms but the skyview. All rooms have an exterior jacuzzi and most have a soaking tub in the bathroom as well. Fantastic coffee shop and 24hr sports bar, NO time share, All rooms are "club" so no segretation. While it's family, the majority of the resort is AO, 5 out of 7 buildings, so the fewest children of the three Majestics. Cons: It is a family resort, so all evening meals and entertainment is shared with the family guests( kids). I don't care...the rooms and resort are worth it. Wrist bands required, and they are NOT the room key.

Secrets Royal Beach. Usually the cheapest of my 5. Full access to a second resort, Dreams, next door, more than doubling your restaurant, bar, entertainment and activity options. Swimouts have two chairs :), cheaper to upgrade to preferred than at SCC. All rooms have tubs, either on the patio or in the room . No wristbands Cons; time shares, busy beach, less "luxurious" than SCC, less pampering.

Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
16,434 posts
31 reviews
44 helpful votes
2. Re: Just for fun - Rank your top 5 Hotels
Save

1. Iberostar Grand

2. Excellence Punta Cana

3. Zoetry

4. Vista Sol

5. Princess Punta Cana

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
3. Re: Just for fun - Rank your top 5 Hotels
Save

Puntacanamike. Love your list. Especially #5. Our fav. Lots of love from Canada 🇨🇦

London, United...
Level Contributor
398 posts
100 reviews
63 helpful votes
4. Re: Just for fun - Rank your top 5 Hotels
Save

Pstmstr - thank you!! Love your list and pros/cons!

Awesome stuff!

Summerside
Level Contributor
1,642 posts
34 reviews
48 helpful votes
5. Re: Just for fun - Rank your top 5 Hotels
Save

This is an awesome post. Would love to try Secrets Cap Cana for a change but price has gone up by 688.00 since March 8th for one week.

Mullica Hill, New...
Level Contributor
9,192 posts
8 reviews
15 helpful votes
6. Re: Just for fun - Rank your top 5 Hotels
Save

Pstmstr...not sure what you mean by Excellence separating club and non-club guests. They have a separate check in/out, restaurant and bar area as a benefit, but otherwise all guests are permitted everywhere resort-wide.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
18 reviews
45 helpful votes
7. Re: Just for fun - Rank your top 5 Hotels
Save

travltowhrvr. Having areas that are accessible to only some guests, bars, lounges, restaurants, pools, beach sections, is segregation. Some do all of this and some do part. Not saying it's a deal breaker, but that is what it is by definition, separating or setting people apart. "You can't use that area, it's for club guests only".

Someone booking an "all inclusive" may not realize they aren't getting it "all" if they don't upgrade and pay more than the non preferred, no privilege, non club, whatever that resort may have. When I first started searching for trips, I didn't know the difference, but at this point in my travels, I know to look to see what I get with a regular room, and what I don't get. And if I have to pay to upgrade to a higher level in order to enjoy the resort, it's usually not a resort we will go to. I also realize that people pay extra for club, my comment mentions it, again, because some may not know about it.

Again, Excellence and Secrets are on my top 5, but they do both have it. Some to more extent than others, but I'm still able to enjoy the resorts. In fact, I'm booked for SCC right now ;) But in a reg room, not a preferred room.

Edited: April 18, 2021, 11:19 pm
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
7,517 posts
60 reviews
44 helpful votes
8. Re: Just for fun - Rank your top 5 Hotels
Save

I ‘ve stayed at Iberostar grande several times and while they do have a club the only things that gets you is a private beach area (which is actually not all that nice in my opinion) and a bar. There’s no special restaurants or anything like that. So to me it’s not a real problem I am leery of places where they have special pools and special restaurants. I do feel like that makes the regular guests a little more second class.

Reply to: Just for fun - Rank your top 5 Hotels
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.