We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping

3 posts
Tipping
Save

Hi! When tipping at a resort, can I use USD or do I need to convert my money to Domincan pesos? If so, where and how do you do that. How much do you normally tip for services (bartender, room service, transportation, etc.)

33 replies to this topic
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,851 posts
43 reviews
239 helpful votes
1. Re: Tipping
Save

USD. Do a search on tipping and thousands of responses will come up otherwise this thread will just start arguments.

West Hartford...
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Tipping
Save

I'm here in Punta Cana right now. I tip at dinner, maid service and good service in general. I tip with USD. Bring singles and $5s. A lot of people do not tip but quite a bit do. If you are happy with service a few bucks goes a long way and they will remember you.

Edited: April 15, 2021, 6:25 am
murillo
Level Contributor
8,492 posts
3 reviews
19 helpful votes
3. Re: Tipping
Save

you tip for good service .. not to get service.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon, Samana Province, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,490 posts
256 reviews
268 helpful votes
4. Re: Tipping
Save

May i give my European vision regarding Tipping on AI resorts and light the fire on this post? LOL...

Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
16,426 posts
31 reviews
44 helpful votes
5. Re: Tipping
Save

Please...do tell!!!

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,490 posts
256 reviews
268 helpful votes
6. Re: Tipping
Save

@PuntaCanaMike - you trully know that i shouldn't ... so many times i've already said what's my personal opinion regarding this topic... Things are so, so different in this side of the pond...

But this's all so quiet that maybe i'll... LOL...

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
38 posts
18 reviews
24 helpful votes
7. Re: Tipping
Save

Curious minds want to know. Are Europeans in favor of tipping or not so much?

Medina, Ohio
Level Contributor
453 posts
9 reviews
4 helpful votes
8. Re: Tipping
Save

Oh my !!! Now you’ve done it! The 3rd world war will start! Crap!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
14,264 posts
21 reviews
185 helpful votes
9. Re: Tipping
Save

Tipping is a personal choice and yes, some countries are used to it and some are not. I certainly don't pay attention to other guests and watch who does what. I do tip when on vacation because I feel it is greatly appreciated by hard working staff.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,490 posts
256 reviews
268 helpful votes
10. Re: Tipping
Save

@Nicole B - tipping is not part of our European culture, so... i said it all... or not... LOL...

@suzannevp - not yet because i didn't even start saying what's my personal opinion about tipping... LOL... but if anyone insists i'll... LOL...

Reply to: Tipping
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.