We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I Removed the TSA-Sunscreen Thread - Inaccurate Info

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
3,283 posts
55 reviews
105 helpful votes
I Removed the TSA-Sunscreen Thread - Inaccurate Info
Save

The TSA replied back to me this morning. This was their response:

"Our website incorrectly reported that sunscreen containers larger than 3.4 oz. were allowed in carry-on bags if medically necessary. That error has been corrected. Sunscreen in carry-on bags must be 3.4 oz. or less. Larger quantities should be placed in checked baggage."

So the TSA made a mistake, smh. Full-sized sunscreens are NOT allowed in carry-ons. I apologize for any inconvenience or confusion my original post might have caused. I took removed it to not cause further confusion and misinformation. I just wanted to take ownership and follow up.

Cat S.

4 replies to this topic
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,854 posts
43 reviews
239 helpful votes
1. Re: I Removed the TSA-Sunscreen Thread - Inaccurate Info
Save

That is being reported incorrectly all over the place then. So many were ready to do carryon only.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
3,283 posts
55 reviews
105 helpful votes
2. Re: I Removed the TSA-Sunscreen Thread - Inaccurate Info
Save

I know, BBgamer. The TSA error was being reported heavily over the weekend. What a clusterf**k.

II don't just jump on what is being reported as I went straight to the source. When I saw that sunscreen was in the medical category on the TSA site Sunday morning, that did it for me.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,854 posts
43 reviews
239 helpful votes
3. Re: I Removed the TSA-Sunscreen Thread - Inaccurate Info
Save

We go in 4 weeks and were thinking about doing carry on only but my wife has too much goop with her for other things plus we bring back rum. Just wonder how many are on the way to the airport today with their carry ons?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
7,516 posts
60 reviews
44 helpful votes
4. Re: I Removed the TSA-Sunscreen Thread - Inaccurate Info
Save

Some of us pointed out that even when it was on there it was still at the discretion of the agent so you might not be wise to assume you were going to get away with it.

Reply to: I Removed the TSA-Sunscreen Thread - Inaccurate Info
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.