We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay / hurricane season

Stratford...
Level Contributor
42 posts
19 reviews
8 helpful votes
Where to stay / hurricane season
Save

Hi everyone! My husband and and I are both essential workers ( teacher and hospice) and had a heck of a year. We are in much need of a get away and are planning an Anniversary trip for October, which we realize is hurricane Season. We will purchase trip insurance, but is the weather ok for the most part in October? Is it very rainy?

We are 55 and 52, one vegetarian and one meat-eater and are looking for beautiful, calm beaches, decent food choices w vegetarian options and lots of activities plus a great spa. We are considering Hyatt Zilara and Iberostar GB. Any other suggestions? And thank you!! Also... is the club level worth it if we chose Hyatt?

2 replies to this topic
Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
16,434 posts
31 reviews
44 helpful votes
1. Re: Where to stay / hurricane season
Save

Most months here are more or less the same. Temperatures vary about 10 degrees (F) from the warmest to coolest average months. As for October, we can receive some extended periods of cloudy weather, most often no more than 3 consecutive days. That being said, we just had 3 days of overcast weather this week, thus it can happen any time of the year. The last hurricane to hit here was in 2004. We have had some "fly-bys" but nothing of a serious nature for some time now.

Both resorts you have mentioned are quality resorts. Hyatt is newer and has a strong American clientele. Iberostar is well established and is a proven quality resort, with the added bonus of having a very enjoyable golf course on the property. Hyatt will be the more lively of the 2...Iberostar, the more refined of the 2.

The beach at Hyatt is the calmer of the 2, but please note that if you are a beach walker or explorer, Hyatt is going to disappoint, as it is located in a private residential complex, Iberostar will give you many miles of beach to walk.

In summary, either resort should meet your expectations.

Cheers,

PCMIke

2 posts
2. Re: Where to stay / hurricane season
Save

Just wanted to say thanks to both of you for your hard work over the last year! I’ve not stayed at either resort (though we have IGB booked for late May), but I know Costco Travel has absolutely fantastic deals on both resorts you’ve listed right now if you are a member.

Reply to: Where to stay / hurricane season
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Punta Cana
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.