We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dreams Royal Beach or Dominicus La Romana? 2 Adults 2 Teens

Hillsboro, Oregon...
Level Contributor
69 posts
14 reviews
10 helpful votes
Dreams Royal Beach or Dominicus La Romana? 2 Adults 2 Teens
Save

Hello (posted in two of the forums as I am not sure which gets more traction)

We are looking at traveling to DR the last week of October thru the 4th Nov November. I am looks at the Dreams properties for a few reasons:

1. I don't have any experience with AIs except Hard Rock in Cancun. Normally I like to rent a house and stay in a local town. But this is for my Husband's birthday. He wants to lay by the pool or beach and relax and that's it. So...AI it is I guess.

2. I didn't really like wearing wrist bands at HR. It sounds like Dreams doesn't make you do that.

3. We have a 14 and 15 year old traveling with us. Dreams looks to have great activities for this age.

What is important to us:

1. Ocean we can walk right into and swim.

2. Good value for our money. Since our kids are so old, we will need a suite or 2 rooms. I think $3500 to $4k is reasonable for 7 nights. I don't really want to go over that for 2 rooms 7 nights. This does NOT include airfare. I like to book that myself.

If you can recommend another property, I would love to hear it. But I am really interested in experiences or thoughts on these 2 properties.

Thank you!

7 replies to this topic
Castleton, United...
Level Contributor
5,491 posts
54 reviews
136 helpful votes
1. Re: Dreams Royal Beach or Dominicus La Romana? 2 Adults 2 Teens
Save

These hotels are in different locations. Dreams Dominicus "La Romana" is located at Bayahibe on the Caribbean coast on Dominicus beach. whereas Dreams Royal Beach is on the North Atlantic coast at Bávaro.

Usually on any given day you will find the sea calmer on the Caribbean side than on the Atlantic side due to wind direction:- onshore on the Atlantic beaches, offshore on the Caribbean beaches. Bayahibe is noted for its seagoing activities including Caribbean cruising, drive-yourself speedboats, diving and snorkelling opportunity as well as the normal watersports.

Bayahibe is forty miles south of PUJ along a newish highway so it takes about an hour to transfer.

Ontario,Canada
Level Contributor
3,993 posts
2 reviews
20 helpful votes
2. Re: Dreams Royal Beach or Dominicus La Romana? 2 Adults 2 Teens
Save

if wanting to stay in South side I would recommend Hilton is better hotel and better location

stayed at Dreams Dominicus was not a fan of layout (long and narrow, not much beach room)

Hilton you have easy walking access to the town of Bayahibe

and for the teenagers Hilton has a wonderful waterpark .. here is a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwm7Ra4vd_k

Castleton, United...
Level Contributor
5,491 posts
54 reviews
136 helpful votes
3. Re: Dreams Royal Beach or Dominicus La Romana? 2 Adults 2 Teens
Save

Just fyi the Hilton "La Romana" used to be Dreams "La Romana". As post #2 says it has had a water park added by Hilton.

Hillsboro, Oregon...
Level Contributor
69 posts
14 reviews
10 helpful votes
4. Re: Dreams Royal Beach or Dominicus La Romana? 2 Adults 2 Teens
Save

Thank you. Yes, I was aware they are in 2 different areas. Thank you for clarifying about the water and the layout. Exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for.

I looked at the Hilton. It looks like it's very similar to Hard Rock. Do you have to wear wrist bands? Do the parents have to stay at the water park with the teens?

As far as snorkeling or diving, I am taking it that Bahibe area 8s better. But is it more crowded then?

Castleton, United...
Level Contributor
5,491 posts
54 reviews
136 helpful votes
5. Re: Dreams Royal Beach or Dominicus La Romana? 2 Adults 2 Teens
Save

Bayahibe takes far fewer tourists than Punta Cana for holidays as there is much less accommodation. The harbour gets busy at about 10-30am when the tourist herd excursions for Saona Island arrive from Punta Cana who then depart after a few minutes of disorganised chaos. Similarly they arrive back at 4-30pm and mill about finding their coaches for a few minutes.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,848 posts
43 reviews
239 helpful votes
6. Re: Dreams Royal Beach or Dominicus La Romana? 2 Adults 2 Teens
Save

Make sure you look at transfer times depending where you fly into.

Hillsboro, Oregon...
Level Contributor
69 posts
14 reviews
10 helpful votes
7. Re: Dreams Royal Beach or Dominicus La Romana? 2 Adults 2 Teens
Save

@northern-ale

I have narrowed it down to The Hilton and Dreams Royal Beach. Thank you!

Reply to: Dreams Royal Beach or Dominicus La Romana? 2 Adults 2 Teens
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.