We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about positive COVID test

Indiana
Level Contributor
174 posts
6 reviews
9 helpful votes
Question about positive COVID test
Save

Has anyone tested positive prior to going to DR and then tested positive there even though you no longer have any symptoms? Since you can continue to test positive up to 3-4 months after having it. We are leaving in 3 wks and 2 of us have tested positive recently. I work in healthcare and know that there’s a chance that we will still test positive when we go to leave there even though we are no longer sick.. Wasn’t sure if we took proof that we had previously had it prior to going there would help?

6 replies to this topic
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
3,518 posts
9 reviews
12 helpful votes
1. Re: Question about positive COVID test
Save

I believe to be able to board the flight to return to the US you need either a negative covid test ( within 72 hours of departure)or a letter from your Doctor stating you have had and recovered from Covid within the past 90 days

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
7,516 posts
60 reviews
44 helpful votes
2. Re: Question about positive COVID test
Save

From the CDC website

What if I recently recovered from COVID-19?

CDC does not recommend getting tested again in the three months after a positive viral test, as long as you do not have symptoms of COVID-19. If you have had a positive viral test in the past 3 months, and you have met the criteria to end isolation, you may travel instead with documentation of your positive viral test results and a letter from your healthcare provider or a public health official that states you have been cleared for travel. The positive test result and letter together are referred to as “documentation of recovery.”

A letter from your healthcare provider or a public health official that clears you to end isolation, e.g., to return to work or school, can be used to show you are cleared to travel, even if travel isn’t specifically mentioned in the letter

Now a bigger question is what if you were pulled aside for random testing on arrival in the Dominican republic and test positive. Will they accept this documentation?

Indiana
Level Contributor
174 posts
6 reviews
9 helpful votes
3. Re: Question about positive COVID test
Save

Thank you both for that info! I will be sure to get that letter from my NP. That’s a very good question Carol!! I wonder how we can find out the answer?

Bay Shore N.Y.
Level Contributor
495 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
4. Re: Question about positive COVID test
Save

Does anyone in your party speaks Spanish? Small inconveniences in the US is a major production in the DR and many times it is not resolved in your favor. I have no clue if you test positive for Covid during random testing if they will take the time to accept your documentation ? Good luck tell us how it worked out.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
259 posts
2 reviews
4 helpful votes
5. Re: Question about positive COVID test
Save

we tested positive 3/27 and had to reschedule. My son and I tested negative yesterday but my husband's PCR was still positive. As precaution we are taking both our positive and negative test and doctors note. we go next week.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
3,283 posts
55 reviews
105 helpful votes
6. Re: Question about positive COVID test
Save

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

Here is a link to the CDC about documentation to support recovery from COVID

Reply to: Question about positive COVID test
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.