We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental and Driving in DR

West Hartford...
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Car Rental and Driving in DR
Save

Going to be in PC and DR for 10 days in April. Been advised to not think about leaving the resort unless accompanied by UBER or tour guide. This is because DR is a dangerous country. Anyone have another opinion? Ok to rent a car and drive around the island to get a feel for the island. Obviously during the day and not looking for any trouble lol.

5 replies to this topic
West Hartford...
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Car Rental and Driving in DR
Save

I guess no one drives in DR as a tourist. Perhaps there is nothing to do on the island that would merit renting a car. Not sure.

Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
16,417 posts
31 reviews
44 helpful votes
2. Re: Car Rental and Driving in DR
Save

I am not sure who you got your advice from, but to say that this is a dangerous country, is not based on experience. I am living here for 16 years and have yet to have a personal experience that involves any attempt to harm me or take from me. Like whatever country you come from, crime does occur but is unlikely to occur to you..

Renting a car is not an issue. Try to do so with an internationally based company such as Alamo...Enterprise...etc. Most roads you would consider travelling are in very good condition. I just got back from Las Terrenas yesterday and the drive was great (300km's each way). You do have to be on the lookout for speed bumps, especially around Bavaro and other municipalities. They are seldom well marked.

As of late, especially on the main highways, radar traps have been set up. If you have an app like WAZE, it is pretty good at identifying where these police are set up.

Cheers,

PCMIke

West Hartford...
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Car Rental and Driving in DR
Save

Hi Mike,

I definitely appreciate the feedback from someone who lives there. The advice was from someone who is a "wuss" lol so of course I took it with a grain of salt. I mean DR is a level 2 country with US state department. I'm from the US so I know that there are bad neighborhoods etc. If you are not looking for trouble you will be fine. Thanks for advice on car rental and road conditions. I definitely wanted to rent a car and get out of Punta Cana/ Bavaro.

Bay Shore N.Y.
Level Contributor
495 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
4. Re: Car Rental and Driving in DR
Save

There is so much to do and see in the DR, beautiful country and as Mike says very safe with common sense. They are so many Americans , Canadians, English making various parts of the DR their home. Do you think they would retire in a violent and unsafe country? Go enjoy my home away from home!

West Hartford...
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Car Rental and Driving in DR
Save

Perfect! I will definitely consider this option and look into where to go. Thank you both for your feedback.

Reply to: Car Rental and Driving in DR
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Punta Cana
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.