We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calm water/beach area for senior with mobility issues

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
154 posts
100 reviews
61 helpful votes
Calm water/beach area for senior with mobility issues
Save

Hi there, wondering if I might ask a question. I am just starting to plan a trip, possibly for November depending on how things go, that will include my mother who has some mobility issues. She loves wading into the ocean but is not a strong swimmer, and has some balance / strength issues with one leg. Is there a particular area or resort you could recommend where the water is shallow and calm? Possibly also a resort on the smaller side (or one that provides decent golf cart / shuttle service)? She can walk, actually prefers to, but has some endurance issues especially as the day progresses.

So far on my list to consider is Dreams Royal Beach (I like the look of the Dreams resorts), Majestic Elegance and the Grand Palladium resorts. Having never been to the DR, I am not sure if there is another area we should be looking at?

Thank you for any advice you may be able to offer!

4 replies to this topic
Castleton, United...
Level Contributor
5,491 posts
54 reviews
136 helpful votes
1. Re: Calm water/beach area for senior with mobility issues
Save

You could research Bayahibe on the Caribbean coast. Here the sea is usually calmer than at Punta Cana as the prevailing trade wind is offshore rather than onshore. In November you'll also get an over-the-sea sunset which you don't on the north and east facing Atlantic coast at Punta Cana.

You should start your research at the Hilton "La Romana" which is on Bayahibe beach. Other hotels at Bayahibe are on Dominicus beach which is slightly farther away from the harbour of Bayahibe , a traditional fishing village. Many boats leave the harbour every day for day trips on the Caribbean to Saona Island which is part of the Parque Nacional del Este. One hotel here to research is the Iberostar Hacienda with its iconic lighthouse bar where guests enjoy a sundowner as the sun goes down.

Another area you may wish to research is Samaná Bay where the GBP Cayo Levantado is situated on its own island. We were lucky enough to visit Cayo Levantado before the hotel was built and then it was the archetypal desert island.

Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
16,430 posts
31 reviews
44 helpful votes
2. Re: Calm water/beach area for senior with mobility issues
Save

Of what you have listed, Dreams Royal Beach would work best. On the majority of days (especially that time of year) the waters are fine for swimming and watersports. The resort is easy to navigate and if required, they will provide cart service. Try to request a ground floor to avoid steps.

Cheers,

PCMIke

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,852 posts
43 reviews
239 helpful votes
3. Re: Calm water/beach area for senior with mobility issues
Save

TRS Cap Cana is a very small resort on the bay in the Cap Cana development. It is very handicap accessible and everything is nearby. There is a nice cove beach on site and they can shuttle you to a large beach if interested. Resort has ocean and bay views everywhere. Very pretty boutique resort. Very easy to get around and has elevators.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
154 posts
100 reviews
61 helpful votes
4. Re: Calm water/beach area for senior with mobility issues
Save

Thank you all for giving me some new options to consider.

Reply to: Calm water/beach area for senior with mobility issues
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.