We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the talk on covid testing to return to the States

Midwest, USA
Level Contributor
287 posts
8 reviews
34 helpful votes
What's the talk on covid testing to return to the States
Save

Hi all,

I am considering a 4 or 5 night trip with some girl friends at the end of April. One is vaccinated and all of us have had covid. Me being the most recent in December. We're not real worried about testing positive to return home, but as we all know strange things can happen. Last month I still had antibodies and I plan to do a rapid antigen test before leaving the states.

So, does anyone have any knowledge on percentage of positive tests? Just curious if there have been many positives and guests having to stay.

Also, don't need a lecture on how we shouldn't be traveling. ;)

4 replies to this topic
Lancaster, Texas
Level Contributor
123 posts
1. Re: What's the talk on covid testing to return to the States
Save

I just had my COIVD test to return today! I was a little worried about it because as you say, things happen. It was fine and came back negative. I meant to ask how many positives there were. I haven’t seen anyone talking about being positive and having to stay. I figured people would be immediately complaining on the forums. I feel very safe here. The resorts are going above and beyond to make sure you are safe. I feel safer here than in the states. I think you should live and have a great time. I am more concerned with what I touched at Walmart than traveling. Ha!

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
1,805 posts
138 reviews
88 helpful votes
2. Re: What's the talk on covid testing to return to the States
Save

Resorts are unlikely to tell guests if they have had any positive cases or how many they have had. The DR government is also unlikely to release any figures. I have seen reports from a couple of people who tested positive & were being quarantined in their hotels but there are bound to be some who don’t want to publicise it for their own reasons.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
18 reviews
45 helpful votes
3. Re: What's the talk on covid testing to return to the States
Save

At this point, from your post, all would have to be tested so be prepared for the possibility. Vaccination doesn't exempt you and it's been too long from the previous bout of covid to exempt anyone.

They don't test for antibodies, they test for those positive at the time. Who knows what will change by June though.

And any "talk" of positive tests is going to be mainly speculation/rumor. They may eventually end up in the number of positive tests in the region/country, but you aren't going to get a report of "xx foreigners tested positive".

Edited: March 26, 2021, 9:24 pm
Midwest, USA
Level Contributor
287 posts
8 reviews
34 helpful votes
4. Re: What's the talk on covid testing to return to the States
Save

Thanks everyone for your replies. I think were going to go early May.

Reply to: What's the talk on covid testing to return to the States
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Punta Cana
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.