We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best hotel and beach

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,328 posts
33 reviews
79 helpful votes
Best hotel and beach
Save

Looking for the best AI hotel for families with a beautiful calm beach. I was reading the Dreams Macao has a waving rough beach so now I’m maybe looking elsewhere. TIA

15 replies to this topic
Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
16,434 posts
31 reviews
44 helpful votes
1. Re: Best hotel and beach
Save

Dreams Macao should never have been deemed a family resort, due to the sea conditions on 80% of the days.

If you are partial to the Dreams product, Dreams Royal beach would be much better suited to what you are looking for.

Cheers,

PCMike

Castleton, United...
Level Contributor
5,494 posts
54 reviews
136 helpful votes
2. Re: Best hotel and beach
Save

Macao beach has a surf camp. Surfing = waves.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
14,283 posts
21 reviews
185 helpful votes
3. Re: Best hotel and beach
Save

Another option is Dreams Punta Cana. Beautiful pool across the resort. Located in a bay like beach area with no boat and little foot traffic or vendors. Ocean is beautiful and very swimmable. Nice area for water sports.

Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
4. Re: Best hotel and beach
Save

Considering Dreams Palm Beach for the calmness of the ocean?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,853 posts
43 reviews
239 helpful votes
5. Re: Best hotel and beach
Save

The Hyatt in Cap Cana has a non commercial beach and calm water.

Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
16,434 posts
31 reviews
44 helpful votes
6. Re: Best hotel and beach
Save

Having worked at Dreams PC for well over a year, I can disagree with you Sly on some points. You are correct about the pool...fantastic. The resort is on the point...not the bay (not really a bay at all anyways). Live Aqua, to the left of Dreams, has a bit better beach when it comes to bottom coverage. There is a fair bit of coral stone in the waters off the resort beach, that can make wading out, a bit uncomfortable on the feet. There is no protection from the surf (reef) and watersports are very limited due to this.

Again, sorry for the disagreement but speaking of in-depth firsthand knowledge of the resort and its surroundings. Otherwise, a well-established resort that has its charm but needs a bit of modernization to keep up with the competition (even their own brands).

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
14,283 posts
21 reviews
185 helpful votes
7. Re: Best hotel and beach
Save

And I speak from first hand frequent traveler's experience having been in that area, and having walked that beach many, many times over the last couple of years and I have lots of photos to back it up also. Not saying it never has waves but that area gets a bad rap. Ocean and beach at CHIC is different and does get more waves. From Dreams PC past Live Aqua to Now Onyx and Breathless is calm on most days. Activity picks up again once past the old Tropical Treasures building and on to EEC which gets quite active. As for disagreeing well I did say "bay like" which is in fact correct (again, photos don't lie). In the end, the OP can make their own decision based on research, photos and comments from whomever they feel may bring value to their post.

Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
16,434 posts
31 reviews
44 helpful votes
8. Re: Best hotel and beach
Save

OK, Sly. I guess the ocean changed significantly in a decade. I will leave all local knowledge to you.

Edited: March 24, 2021, 11:31 pm
Castleton, United...
Level Contributor
5,494 posts
54 reviews
136 helpful votes
9. Re: Best hotel and beach
Save

Leave 'im Mike - 'e ain't wurf it.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11,165 posts
10 reviews
126 helpful votes
10. Re: Best hotel and beach
Save

Having been to Dreams Punta Cana three times (once when it was Sunscape The Beach - I didn't see much difference after the change), I can say that the beach / ocean is not a plus. There is coral / rocks in the ocean for a good chunk of it. My friend cut his foot badly. I never saw it too rough for playing in, but I never saw what I would consider calm. For the record, I like surf, so that doesn't bother me.

The pool was nice, except for the fact that it's only 3 feet deep. The way the resort is laid out, it can be windy. When I was there in February, there was a wind that whipped up the pool from the ocean to the lobby. Some years ago, they blamed that wind on caving in the ceiling of the World Cafe (the buffet restaurant - causing injuries). Others say it was a gas explosion that was covered up.

I liked the place in many respects, but there were issues. On two of my three trips, my luggage was misplaced. On one, I found it in the back of a pick-up truck 2 hours later, in the parking lot.

The rooms are incredibly small. I mean half the size of other resorts. And you're limited as to what restaurants you can use at certain times of day, unless you go Preferred.

I've been to three Dreams resorts. This was my least favorite. Dreams Riviera Cancun was easily the best.

I liked Dreams Palm Beach, except for the fact that, at the time at least, there wasn't a bar you could sit at, and they didn't have facilities to support the guests in the event of inclement weather (not by a long shot).

It has been a while since I've been to it, so things may have changed. It was okay, but not a place I'd get excited about going to.

Mark

Reply to: Best hotel and beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.