We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favorite Excursion?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
99 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
Favorite Excursion?
Save

Hey guys! I am wanting to know your favorite excursion you’ve done while in Punta Cana. We will be there at the end of January, and would like to do at least one or two excursions. We have been to DR before, but are traveling with newbies so any and all recommendations welcome!

38 replies to this topic
Castleton, United...
Level Contributor
5,540 posts
54 reviews
136 helpful votes
1. Re: Favorite Excursion?
Save

Cruise on the Caribbean to Saona Island and/or Catalina Island. The Saona cruise departs from Bayahibe on the Caribbean coast and is better imho speedboat out and catamaran return for the onboard party. Catalina is cat. both ways and usually goes from the Chavon river or La Romana harbour. Sometimes Catalina got cruise liner parties but no longer.

Whale watching in Samaná bay until mid-March. Can be expensive if you fly to Samaná.

Horseback exploration of the Parque Nacional del Este on the Caribbean coast. It included a swim in a cave, very refreshing.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
99 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
2. Re: Favorite Excursion?
Save

Thanks Saleman! We went to Saona island when we were there 5yrs ago, but definitely wouldn’t mind going back! I’ll for sure look into your other two suggestions. Appreciate the feedback!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,791 posts
5 reviews
5 helpful votes
3. Re: Favorite Excursion?
Save

I agree, do a Saona or Catalina island snorkel excursion. We liked the Pro Excursions Saona island tour because you are on a 45 ft catamaran (with washroom on board) both ways instead of banging around in a small speed boat. They are a small local company in Bayahibe.

https://www.proexcursionsbayahibe.com/en/excursion/saona-privilege-canto-de-la-playa-mano-juan-natural-pool-aspx/

https://www.proexcursionsbayahibe.com/en/excursion/snorkeling-at-catalina-island/

Edited: December 11, 2020, 7:06 am
Mount Wolf...
Level Contributor
102 posts
8 reviews
45 helpful votes
4. Re: Favorite Excursion?
Save

Fun Buggy with Kurt, Awesome Day !

Castleton, United...
Level Contributor
5,540 posts
54 reviews
136 helpful votes
5. Re: Favorite Excursion?
Save

#2 I don't know if the "new" toll highway from PUJ roundabout to the Caribbean coast for Bayahibe and La Romana was open when you went but it does take away that tedious journey through Higüey - although that did give tourists a glimpse of local life not tarted up for the tourist herds.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
99 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
6. Re: Favorite Excursion?
Save

Thank you Wreckdiversteve! When we did the Saona excursion a few years ago we did the catamaran/speed boat & I definitely wasn’t a fan of the speed boat!

Is Catalina island comparable to Saona?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
99 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
7. Re: Favorite Excursion?
Save

Good to know Saleman, I just remember the drive to the marina taking forever! And they picked us up so early!

Castleton, United...
Level Contributor
5,540 posts
54 reviews
136 helpful votes
8. Re: Favorite Excursion?
Save

The problem does remain that some operators pad the journey out with a stop at a tourist tat shop. Still your reward will be the lovely blue sea colour of the Caribbean unmatched at Punta Cana.

Catalina is less touristy than Saona and most say the diving is much better. When we went the lobster was both large and cheap.

Edited: December 11, 2020, 11:23 pm
Ontario,Canada
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
2 reviews
20 helpful votes
9. Re: Favorite Excursion?
Save

https://www.xtreme-buggy.com/en/home/

hands down the best experience I have had on a excursion in the DR

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
14,453 posts
21 reviews
185 helpful votes
10. Re: Favorite Excursion?
Save

Not sure the last time you've been to PC Saleman but the ocean was a very nice, blue colour when I was in PC recently.

Reply to: Favorite Excursion?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Punta Cana
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.