We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing Diabetic insulin in carry on bag

1 post
Bringing Diabetic insulin in carry on bag
Save

Hi, we are leaving for Punta Cana in a few days and was planning on bringing my diabetic insulin in my carry on bag. When I started checking what you can bring in carry on in the Dominican it says you can not bring diabetic supplies in carry on bag only in checked bag. Does anyone know if this true? I do not feel very comfortable leaving my medicine in my checked bag.

carlisle
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
52 reviews
79 helpful votes
1. Re: Bringing Diabetic insulin in carry on bag
Save

I always take my insulin pens and needles, with me in my hand luggage. Always keep it in original packing. Never had a problem.

Thetford Mines...
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
28 reviews
102 helpful votes
2. Re: Bringing Diabetic insulin in carry on bag
Save

My daughter has type 1 diabetes. She just returned from PC a few days ago. This is what she does. "I always carry 3 sets: purse, carry-on and checked luggage. That being said, I have never had to answer any questions at any airport regarding my insulin. Even when I don’t put it in my “liquids” bag."

Thetford Mines...
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
28 reviews
102 helpful votes
3. Re: Bringing Diabetic insulin in carry on bag
Save

She also had this to say

Generally speaking, as with any medications, it’s better to travel with them in their original packaging, showing the prescription label, in case there are questions. I always bring the cartridge boxes with the labels.

As well, you can get a letter from your doctor certifying that you are travelling with needles due to your diabetes. I did that for my first few trips, but after never being asked any questions by immigration or security, I gave up going to get said letters.

Summerside
Level Contributor
1,641 posts
34 reviews
48 helpful votes
4. Re: Bringing Diabetic insulin in carry on bag
Save

I have Chron's and travel with needles in original packaging and an ice pack. I always take it in my carry-on. The only thing that has ever happened is that my ice pack got x-rayed.

Broken Arrow...
Level Contributor
153 posts
190 reviews
44 helpful votes
5. Re: Bringing Diabetic insulin in carry on bag
Save

I didn't have any problems taking my insulin bottles and insulin pump supplies in my carry-on. I always have a prescription with me, just in case, as I was stopped once in O'Hare, but they quickly cleared me since I had paperwork. I always make security aware they will find medical equipment in my bag. They usually wipe it with the bomb residue wipes and then let me pass.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
28,409 posts
9 reviews
52 helpful votes
6. Re: Bringing Diabetic insulin in carry on bag
Save

Checked luggage can (and does) go astray. For that reason, you should never, EVER, pack essentials (such as vital prescription medications) in your checked bags.

Airport security the world over knows this and I can't imagine that a destination such as the Dominican Republic is unfamiliar with such medical supplies.

As noted above, take everything in its original packaging, as dispensed by the pharmacy and make sure you have the appropriate documentation with you (you may not need it but better to have it, just in case). To avoid any potential language barrier, consider having a brief note of explanation of what the items are translated into Spanish for presentation to any official who expresses interest in your diabetic supplies.

7. Re: Bringing Diabetic insulin in carry on bag

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: February 19, 2021, 1:41 pm
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.