We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gifts

6 posts
Save Topic
gifts

on our last visit to the Dominican we brought small gifts i.e crayons pencils - some toiletries etc - do people still do this ?

6 replies to this topic
Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,477 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: gifts

No.

The DR is not a third world country. Everything they need or want is available in stores. All they lack is the funds to do so. Tip in cash.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: gifts

This subject comes up from time to time. Some people feel that it is a nice idea and others feel that it is more of an insult. There are countries where people can not get what they want/need but I don't think the DR is one of those countries. I think the only time that I might bring a gift is if I got to know one of the employees and had a conversation about something like baseball and upon returning to that resort I brought an Orioles hat for that employee. Of course some people even feel that in that case a bigger tip would be a better idea but if tips are split then the hat along with a note might be a nice idea.

Ontario
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: gifts

Tip in cash and they will buy what they need.

If resort workers leave with items they may have to explain where it came from.

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,477 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: gifts

There are dollar stores, There is even a IKEA. What they lack is money.

Dental care is not government sponsored so please do not give the children Candy.

Edited: August 19, 2018, 5:17 am
Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
6,017 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: gifts

Finally some intelligence out there. Especially about candy!

carlisle
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: gifts

Well said dawnskye

Reply to: gifts
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted