We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excursions with a toddler reccomendations

london
Level Contributor
293 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Excursions with a toddler reccomendations

Hi all,

We’re heading to PC on Monday. Staying at the LBP Esmeralda, really looking forward to this trip! We’ll be there with our little man who’s 18 months old. Need some help figuring out what kind of excursions we can do with a toddler, any recommendations would be great. Would love to hear from other parents as well, what activities/trips you did??

Punta Cana Small-Group Sailing and...
330 Reviews
from US$79.00*
Free Cancellation
Day Trip to Saona Island and Altos de...
77 Reviews
from US$83.99*
Free Cancellation
Punta Cana Discovery Package: Dune...
136 Reviews
from US$99.99*
Free Cancellation
10 replies to this topic
Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,717 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excursions with a toddler reccomendations

None are child friendly IMHO. They are usually full days, and because of insurance have age limits.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
2,817 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Excursions with a toddler reccomendations

Hispaniola Aquatic Adventures has a family cruise . Most others seeing the countryside etc are as stated quite full days on tour buses/ trucks that would not be much fun with a toddler...

Mentioned in this post
Hispaniola Aquatic Adventures
Hispaniola Aquatic...
1,942 Reviews
Dominican Republic
london
Level Contributor
293 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Excursions with a toddler reccomendations

That’s a shame. We really wanted to do one of the island trips but they seem to be quiet long. Is there any way to do sanoa in, say, 4-5 hours?? rather than a full 8-9 hour kind of day.

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,717 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Excursions with a toddler reccomendations

You could see about hiring a private boat, but that’s going to be $$. We did the excursion to Saona and it was very rough. They also did not allow kids under 8, there would have been no life vest for them.

Personally if I had slept $100/ person for a day excursion and somebody had a grumpy, tired crying baby, I would not ever recommend that company again.

The bus ride to Bayahibe to get the boat is about an hour each way, then a boat ride to the island. Doesn’t give you much time there.

Edited: June 19, 2018, 8:37 am
Mentioned in this post
Bayahibe
Bayahibe
Dominican Republic
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
2,817 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Excursions with a toddler reccomendations

NO ... Saona or Catalina is a full day trip ... With a long bus trip ... We have taken our children on both ( under 8 years old) ... Personally they and us enjoyed the Hispaniola trip more ...short travel time ...( leaves from Bibijagua) Essentially the same experience ... and the crew are excellent with kids. And boards from the beach ... I didn't like the Saona trip so much as they had to transfer us from the beach to the Catamaran in smaller launches for the return trip cause it was to rough for them to come in. With small children ( mine were 4 & 6 at the time) it made me nervous getting the kids on and off.plus the long transfer times ...

london
Level Contributor
293 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Excursions with a toddler reccomendations

I’d be nervous to transfer from a small boat to a bigger one myself let alone with small kids! I didn’t realise that’s potentially what could happen. I guess we will give it a miss. I just don’t like the idea of being on a boat in rough water as it is and I don’t think I’m willing to risk it with a toddler! Maybe I’m just being a chicken! but would rather be safe than sorry.

We will check out the other reccomendation suggested above. Are there any water park type of places we can go? Or maybe somewhere we can see some animals?? My little one loves birds so anything bird related would be fab!

Thanks in advance x

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
305 posts
354 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Excursions with a toddler reccomendations

We've been enjoying PC for 10 years now, and have a 9 year old. Every year we wonder if we should bring kids . . . and every year we're glad we don't! Most resorts just aren't set up for the safety of young people. Maybe the Nickelodeon Resort, but even there I would not expect the same level of safety we see elsewhere. Now multiply the danger even more if you want to go on an excursion, I just wouldn't do it - - haven't done it! We're back in October and still don't feel safe bringing our youngest.

Enjoy the resort and save the stress!

You might reach out to "Punta Cana Mike," one of the Destination experts, who I would expect to have great information on the topic.

Edited: June 20, 2018, 12:57 am
Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
4,291 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Excursions with a toddler reccomendations

asdfgh1 you are staying at the Bahia Esmeralda.... you should check to see if any areas of the Bahia Scouts waterpark at your resort are suitable for your toddler.

Also look at Indigenous Eyes puntacana.org/environment/indigenous-eyes-ec…

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
14,785 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Excursions with a toddler reccomendations

if your wee one likes the birds, he'll see some on the beach and a lot of resorts have bird/peacock/swan areas... not sure yours will.

london
Level Contributor
293 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Excursions with a toddler reccomendations

Thanks for all the help and advice guys, it’s much appreciated. Indigenous eyes was on the list of things to do as I read a trip review not too long ago about a family with 2 little ones who had visited and said it was great.

From my understanding the Bahia scout thing is for kids from ages 3 and up but will double check to make sure.

Hopefully whatever excursions we manage to do, or not do, we will have a lovely time making lovely memories on the beach and at the pool.

Edited: June 20, 2018, 8:08 am
Reply to: Excursions with a toddler reccomendations
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted