We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety

1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Safety

Hey, my friend and I are planning to travel to Punta Cana but we do not want to go all inclusive. Any suggestions and ideas on what is it like outside resorts, we have been told that it may not be safe. We are 2 young girls.

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
4 replies to this topic
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada
Level Contributor
8,558 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety

Hi Alex

Read this link

smartertravel.com/2017/…

Jackson, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
9,189 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety

Take your normal precautions and PC is as safe as anywhere. Yes, do not drink the water or walk on the beach at night. Taxi to discos and such.

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
257 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety

Read the link ClintG posted above. I've always felt safe in PC, but I'm a man. I would not want my young daughters to stay anywhere but on a resort. Since you are obviously concerned about safety - - stay at a resort and you'll be safer than home! Why stress?

I'm not faulting PC, I wouldn't want my daughters walking on a beach at night, cruising thru unfamiliar territories, or clubbing in unfamiliar locations even here in Florida!

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety

In my younger days I travelled around Punta Cana , throughout big cities like Santo Domingo, and smaller towns like Higuey, Juan Dolio and Boca Chica but I travelled with a Dominican. Although that was several years ago, I did not always feel safe. The link sent to you by another TA poster outlines a lot of the concerns I experienced. Unless you're at an established hotel or resort, I would not venture out at night. There is a lot of prostitution, both male and female, throughout much of these areas, including Puna Cana ( not that that is necessarily bad - we've got lots of prostitution in Toronto too). The cleanliness was particularly bad, and to this day I have never seen " bathrooms" as filthy as the public ones I have seen there. I've returned from several trips with intestinal problems needing antibiotics. I don't mean to bash the Dominicans - they are beautiful people in a beautiful country - but, speaking now in my mom voice, I would not suggest it.

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo
Santo Domingo
Dominican Republic
Juan Dolio
Juan Dolio
Dominican Republic
Boca Chica
Boca Chica