We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Trip to DR, Single Guy--Punta Cana/La Romana?

Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
6,439 posts
130 reviews
First Trip to DR, Single Guy--Punta Cana/La Romana?

Greetings:

Experienced traveler throughout Latin America, first time going to the DR. Single, young at heart 50 something traveling solo.

Prefer a nice boutique hotel or resort--but not all inclusive (I am not a huge drinker, nor am I am a buffet fan) and am a light sleeper....enjoy the beach during the day, good cigar, foodie, and nice nightlife...prefer being in an area walkable to all of my likes or no more than a short 10 minute cab ride...for perspective, I've been to Havana a dozen times and preferred staying in a private casa in upscale Miramar (as opposed to touristy and beggar filled Vieja Habana) and taking a taxi to good restaurants and bars/clubs.

Seems like Punta Cana would be a good base though I might rent a car or driver to take me to La Romana and Boca Chica for a day. Looking at 6 nights.

Will Punta Cana meet my criteria??....can you recommend a nice/clean non-all inclusive property, preferably on the beach yet not isolated??....good restaurants where I can possibly dine at the bar and/or meet others to socialize with?....agree with my itinerary above??

Many thanks in advance.

Edited: June 11, 2018, 9:07 pm
5 replies to this topic
Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
9,533 posts
1 review
1. Re: First Trip to DR, Single Guy--Punta Cana/La Romana?

Boca Chica is the worst place to visit so cross that off, crime and rip offs galore.

Bayahibe might interest you. Punta Cana is an area of AI resorts.

I would say Cabarete might have what you are looking for most. Or Las Terenas.

Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
6,439 posts
130 reviews
2. Re: First Trip to DR, Single Guy--Punta Cana/La Romana?

Thanks....then looks like I would be better off flying into Puerto Plata (if Cabarete), which would also give me access to Sosua.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
9,533 posts
1 review
3. Re: First Trip to DR, Single Guy--Punta Cana/La Romana?

Yep

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,352 posts
34 reviews
4. Re: First Trip to DR, Single Guy--Punta Cana/La Romana?

Check out Sosua by the Sea. It might tick all your boxes.

murillo
Level Contributor
7,233 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: First Trip to DR, Single Guy--Punta Cana/La Romana?

I went twice solo to Sosua… stayed at the Casa Marina... it was cheaper than a condo for 2 weeks. 50's too...lol

Reply to: First Trip to DR, Single Guy--Punta Cana/La Romana?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted