We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Trip to DR

Napanee, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
First Trip to DR

We have vacationed in Mexico previously and have decided to venture to the Dominican. We are looking to travel the third week of December to Punta Cana 2 adults & 14yo son. We have narrowed our search down to four resorts Dreams Palm Beach, Now Larimar, Grand Palladium Punta Cana or Luxury Bahia Principe Esmerelda. We are looking for a great beach front that’s clean, where you are able to swim, not feel crowded and searching for chairs every morning, quality food and a room that is comfortable and clean at the end of the day. Our son enjoys playing beach volleyball and taking part in activities so also a resort that caters to young teenagers is important. Looking for any ideas/suggestions from others past experiences. Thanks in advance.

8 replies to this topic
Massillon, Ohio
Level Contributor
133 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Trip to DR

I would drop Dreams due to the beach and entertainment there. I've heard Dreams La Romona is much better for food ,entertainment and beach. I've been to Now Larimar too with teens and enjoyed it. Grand teens loved it too nice beach. Iberostar is a comple package and nice hotel in good location,better food. ( my only dislike is reservations for dinner). ,I can't comment on other properties you mentioned as I haven't visited them.

Jackson,NJ
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
11,129 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Trip to DR

Grand Palladium. Really nice beach with plenty of activities for the 14 year old.

Edited: June 12, 2018, 2:37 am
Allentown, PA
Level Contributor
541 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Trip to DR

Food at Palladium is very hit or miss.

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,482 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Trip to DR

Just be aware that the ocean that Punta Cana is on is the Atlantic Ocean. It is not the Caribbean like in Mexico.

Las Terrenas...
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: First Trip to DR

Hello,

as you described the place that you are looking for immediately BlueBeach Punta Cana came in my mind. The resort is quiet, very nice and clean with a totally new department. Food is very good, with high quality imported meats and fresh seafood. Premium drinks. The beach is nice and the pool is not crowded at all. Beach valley, as well as other sports, can be practiced in the range of fields of the resorts.

Hope that helped! Have a nice day!

Sophia

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,482 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Trip to DR

One thing to take into consideration is that Punta Cana is on the Atlantic Ocean, Not the Caribbean as is Mexico.

Richland...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First Trip to DR

My first trip too next month. I am interested in the responses as well.......any suggestions of things to do, is it safe to leave the resort or should we just stay put? Also, what is the best way to call back to the US to check in on family?

I like you, have been to Mexico & Caribbean several times. I noticed several people commented about DR being on the Atlantic and not the Caribbean. I knew this, but is there a reason for the comment....anything in particular to watch for?

Thanks for any information. I will post back any updates when I return latter part of July as I noticed you were not going until December.

murillo
Level Contributor
6,926 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Trip to DR

Yes PC is on the Atlantic side ...a mile away from the Caribbean ...Beaches in PC far exceed that in Mexico ..Sarah, there isn't much beach at the Bahia..especially 6000 guests ..Palladium and Now Larimar are nice resorts ,beach and ocean..Playfull you can leave the resort in safety any day..Use same precautions as at home...especially at night.

Reply to: First Trip to DR
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted