We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel insurance question

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
544 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Travel insurance question

I’m concerned about pre-existing conditions being covered by travel insurance. In the past I was ignorant to this but I’ve learned that certain conditions may not be covered. We’ve always gotten Travel Guard insurance, and fortunately we didn’t have to use the coverage for past vacations. We would like to go to PC in July 2019 so I’d like to find out my options before we book so I’m ready and know exactly what to purchase. Here are my concerns.....

I have asthma, and I carry a Ventolin inhaler with me at all times. My asthma is well under control and I only need the inhaler if I’m sick with a bad cold or something. I’m never around cigarette smoke so that’s not an issue for me. My son (age 13 now but will be 14 when we are planning to go to PC) has multiple food allergies and carries an epi-pen at all times. He hasn’t had an allergic reaction since he was 7 years old, in November 2012 when we discovered the pecan allergy. The only other time he had a reaction was in 2010 when he was 5, when we discovered the shrimp allergy. Thankfully!! Is there a particular travel insurance that would cover these conditions in the event that I have an asthma attack that requires medical treatment, or in the event that my son has an allergic reaction that requires medical treatment? I know I may seem like a worry wart, but I would like to know what I’m getting before I buy it.

Thanks in advance!

10 replies to this topic
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
14,860 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel insurance question

you're probably best to call up a few and ask those very same questions... usually, but not all, will have a clause stating that if nothing new has happened since last time, sometimes 3 months, sometimes longer then they won't treat it as a pre existing condition.

Bedford
Destination Expert
for Samana Province
Level Contributor
4,782 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel insurance question

Yes you need to do as Deb advises and ring round. Every travel insurance will require existing conditions to be declared. Otherwise they may use non-disclosure as a reason for denying a claim, even for an unrelated illness. Sometimes they offer the option of cheaper insurance but without a particular condition being covered. You would need to weigh up that one. As Deb says, if there has not been an occurrence of an illness within a certain time they may ignore it.

But you must talk to them.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
544 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel insurance question

Thank you. Which insurance companies do you all recommend I contact? I will definitely contact Travel Guard, but I would like other reputable options just in case.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
244 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel insurance question

Check out "Insure My Trip" for many different policies to compare. I've used Allianz Classic in the past and they paid off. The pre-existing conditions are covered if purchased within 14 days of the first payment towards the trip. The policy states:

"Existing medical condition coverage If your plan includes this coverage, you, a traveling companion or family member can have an existing medical condition and you will still be eligible for all coverage and assistance services, as long as:

• you purchased your plan within 14 days of making your first trip payment or first trip deposit;

• you purchased trip cancellation coverage that covers the full cost of all your non-refundable trip arrangements

• you were a U.S. resident and medically able to travel on the day you purchased the plan, and

• the total cost of your trip is $50,000 per person or less.

• all other stated terms and conditions are met.

For more help, please contact us."

I hope this helps.

Jackson,NJ
Level Contributor
11,665 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel insurance question

Inquiry first but a majority of insurance companies will cover it if you buy the insurance at the same time you purchase the trip. Keep in mine that the travel insurance will only pick up what your regular medical insurance doesn't pay. We use Travel Guard and Allianz.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
544 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel insurance question

Thank you! We purchase travel insurance at the same time we book a vacation. I will check with Travel Guard, as that’s the one we’ve been using. Then I just have to wait for November when JetBlue will likely release their summer 2019 airfares so I can book a PC vacation package!

PA
Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel insurance question

look up geoblue

canada
Level Contributor
4,072 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel insurance question

We never buy travel insurance for health issues as we have an amazing travel insurance thru hubbys work insurance.We do buy cancel for any reason insurance. We are with manulife. I have a severe bee allergy and also crohnns. they cover me as long as i have not had an incident within 6 months that required hospitalization

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
14,250 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel insurance question

US is different than Canada when it comes to insurance...and obviously as of the past 48 hours...other things! LOL

Jackson,NJ
Level Contributor
11,665 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel insurance question

As they cross the border to get to the States for better health care and doctors.

Edited: June 12, 2018, 8:42 am
Reply to: Travel insurance question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Punta Cana