We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

montego bay or punta cana

toronto
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Topic
montego bay or punta cana

i ve been to majestic ellegance club 4 times just want to try somewhere different this time and want to try montego bay iberostar grand any body been to both and how do they compare thanks

18 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
72 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: montego bay or punta cana

Hello we've stayed at the majestic before and loved it , never stayed at the place in Montego you've mentioned but have stayed in Montego bay twice and never liked it there ..love Jamaica just not Montego bay although it's 5 minutes from the airport I just remember hearing airplanes most of the day . And never liked the beach there . Punta cana is hard to beat for us . Hope this helps a bit .

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Allentown, PA
Level Contributor
585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: montego bay or punta cana

Been to majestic elegance twice. Have been to Jamaica in Ocho Rios and would not go back to Jamaica. DR is so much betttef

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Ocho Rios
Ocho Rios
Jamaica
Castleton, United...
Level Contributor
3,998 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: montego bay or punta cana

There's much more to do in Jamaica than the DR but I'd stay at Negril which outscores Punta Cana on every point:- beach quality, Caribbean ocean, sunset, reef snorkelling, food, lovely people, potable water etc. etc.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Omaha
Level Contributor
146 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: montego bay or punta cana

I've only been to Montego Bay at Secrets but I would avoid the location and go somewhere else.

Mentioned in this post
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
486 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: montego bay or punta cana

Another vote for ... if you go to JA, don't stay in Mobay. It's a big, hectic city. It has some very nice resorts. But beaches in the area are nothing to write home about.

Negril area is way nicer - way more laid back, outstanding beaches, and has a lot of excellent resorts.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: montego bay or punta cana

Always found the Dominicans to be much nicer than the Jamaicans

Jackson,NJ
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
11,530 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: montego bay or punta cana

Been to both and found both people just as friendly..

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
202 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: montego bay or punta cana

I LOVE Jamaica but I have already gone two years in a row. So we are trying DR this year. We are planning to return to the Negril side to stay at CSA as we have only stayed in Ocho Rios at both CSS and Jewel Runaway Bay.

It really depends on the type of vacationer that you are. We felt safe venturing all over Jamaica with private tours. So much to see inland. Love the Blue Mountains where we went to a coffee farm. I loved Blue hole in Ocho Rios. We went to Port Antonio which was incredible. The people are laid back and very friendly.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Ocho Rios
Ocho Rios
Jamaica
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach...
2,909 Reviews
Jamaica
Blue Mountains
Blue Mountains
341 Reviews
Jamaica
Blue Hole
Blue Hole
5,602 Reviews
Jamaica
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
309 posts
354 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: montego bay or punta cana

I would not go back to Montego Bay, Jamaica. When you have cops standing on both sides of a shopping district telling you not to pass them into the local neighborhoods, it feels pretty dangerous! We never felt threatened in 10 trips to the DR. I found the Dominican people to be wonderful and remember some very negative experiences with Jamaicans that just didn't need to escalate to a bad experience, but did.

Edited: June 13, 2018, 12:57 am
Mentioned in this post
Warminster...
Level Contributor
354 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: montego bay or punta cana

We stayed at the Iberostar lower end resort at Montego Bay. The Grand is the high end resort. I’ve known people who go back to the Grand every year. We didn’t care for the airport experience in Jamaica. The employees on the resort are super. Another issue we experienced was that there is a highway right next to the resort. Having our coffee on the deck in th morning we’d be listening to trucks zooming by. My daughter loves the Paladium in Montego Bay. It’s one of her favorites.

Chris

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Reply to: montego bay or punta cana
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted