We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking through Expedia or resort?

Stuarts Draft...
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
Booking through Expedia or resort?

Can anyone tell me the difference between booking through the resort vs Expedia?

11 replies to this topic
Jackson,NJ
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
11,133 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking through Expedia or resort?

Nothing except the price and what each package offers. Also check Orbtiz, Travelocity, Priceline, Cheap Caribbean, Apple Vacations and Hotwire to compare prices. Also use bookingbuddy.com to compare prices and get more wholesalers. Whatever is cheaper I would use if all packages are the same.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking through Expedia or resort?

I wouldn’t say there’s no difference. At the very least there’s likely differing cancellation policies. Read the fine print to be sure. As far as reliability is concerned, no worries...go with the best deal/what suits your travel needs.

murillo
Level Contributor
6,926 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking through Expedia or resort?

sometimes a resort may show sold out .. but you may be able to book direct with the resort... We have used Expedia the last 8 trips..

Canada
Level Contributor
394 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking through Expedia or resort?

usually, I book with expedia, however this time I booked direct through the resort this year...first time I've done this....price was cheaper than expedia and it came with free roundtrip transfers...

Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking through Expedia or resort?

I book with expedia all the time. They usually have the best price. The problem is if you have to change anything or there is a hurricane. You'll be on hold a very long time.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
477 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking through Expedia or resort?

Over the years, I've found the best price varies. One year it might be booking directly through a resort and with the airlines. Another year, it might be booking both through one third party or another.

My go-tos for third parties are cheapcaribbean.com and cheaptickets.com. I've found their prices will almost always beat any of the others.

In our experience, it seems like the best prices usually come about 3 months out. I always follow the same routine for our twice-a-year Caribbean trips. I start an Excel spreadsheet with the resort price from the resort website and the flight prices from the 3 major airlines. I add prices from cheapcaribbean and cheaptickets for combines airfare and resort. Because airfare prices change so often, I watch them daily and log them in the sheet. After a week, I have the numbers I need to made a decision.

Some years I've saved several hundred dollars booking separately. The most recent trip I booked to Punta Cana, cheapcaribbean's price for combined was hundreds less than others.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Massillon, Ohio
Level Contributor
133 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking through Expedia or resort?

Price search many avenues. Find a great price and call resort directly and find out if they are willing to price match. Many times they do. Just be sure to factor in difference in airfare and transportation to destination before deciding.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booking through Expedia or resort?

If you’re booking a package, also keep in mind that you don’t necessarily see all flight/airline options. Since you’re from Virginia, it’s worth noting that there’s a direct flight to Punta Cana from BWI. Southwest flights can only be purchased on Southwest.com or Southwest Vacations, not third parties like Expedia or Orbitz.

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
289 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booking through Expedia or resort?

i've book 3 trips to Punta Cana and all have been with Expedia, so far haven't had any problems with them.

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
2,657 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Booking through Expedia or resort?

Expedia was always cheaper than the resort price for me.

Reply to: Booking through Expedia or resort?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;