We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Q’s re: traveling with minor friend & diabetic supplies

Charleston, West...
5 posts
Save Topic
2 Q’s re: traveling with minor friend & diabetic supplies

We are taking our teenage son and a friend of his in July. What information/letter/documentation do we need from the boy’s parents for travel? He has his passport. He won’t have a license or any ID like that. Do we need something saying it’s okay that he is with us and anything for any medical emergency?

I’ve read conflicting things about diabetic supplies coming back to the States from Punta Cana. My husband is a type 1 diabetic and wears an insulin pump. He is also a transplant patient and has a plethora of medications that must be on the plane with him. We went to Punta Cana in 2001 before the stricter TSA regulations were in place and had no issues other than getting additional searches which we do everywhere we go. Has anyone traveled recently with diabetic supplies that has any insight?

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
5 replies to this topic
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
13,539 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Q’s re: traveling with minor friend & diabetic supplies

Regarding the friend, his passport and a notarized letter from both parents or two letters if parents are separated should suffice. Be sure the letter authorizes you to take him to Punta Cana & also authorizes medical care in the event of an emergency.

Regarding prescriptions, be sure you take the original bottles in your carry on. Can't help with diabetic supplies.

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Jackson, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
9,233 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Q’s re: traveling with minor friend & diabetic supplies

Good answer #1

Diabetic supplies same as meds.

Scarborough
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Q’s re: traveling with minor friend & diabetic supplies

Make sure the friend has Medical Insurance for himself.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 Q’s re: traveling with minor friend & diabetic supplies

Diabetic supplies are no big deal.....think of how many people carry them. You probably will have them inspected by hand at the security point. As someone else stated, make sure that all prescription items are in the original containers with pharmacy labels attached. If you have pills in large bottles most pharmacies will give you small bottles (tell them it's for travel) with the proper labels.

My kids have often travelled with other families. Again, as someone stated, a notarized letter from the parents stating where you are going, from when to when, who they authorize as responsible for the child and give medical consent to. You should include as many details as possible....passport numbers of all parties involved, flight info, resort address, contact numbers. The first time one of my kids needed a letter I had my lawyer do it but in future I used that letter as template and wrote my own letter but got it notarized.

Illinois
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 Q’s re: traveling with minor friend & diabetic supplies

I've used an insulin pump for over a decade and I've never had any airport security look at my supplies. I figure they have either seen enough of them or they don't look suspicious on the x-ray. I carry the prescription label for my insulin but no one has ever asked to see it either. The only time I ever got any questions was about 3 weeks after 9/11. This was pre-TSA and one of the security guards asked another guard if my syringes were permitted, which they were.

Reply to: 2 Q’s re: traveling with minor friend & diabetic supplies
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted