We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

food stuffs you are allowed to bring into Punta Cana

United States
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
food stuffs you are allowed to bring into Punta Cana

Are you allowed to bring food stuffs in your luggage? I am interested in bringing our own coffee, coffeemate and artifical sugar, box of rice, spaghetti, brownie mix, tea bags, cookies, chocolate, granola, peanuts or mixed nuts in jar, pringles, bottle of red wine vinegar, laundry pods, taco and sloppy joe seasoning packets, taco shells, and little condiment packets. We are staying in a condo. I know you are not allowed to bring your own meat even if frozen. Appreciate any responses.

5 replies to this topic
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: food stuffs you are allowed to bring into Punta Cana

You can bring all that you have listed ... But it is all readily available at the supermarket. If you were to bring anything I would suggest the tea( hubby found it hard to find a small box of regular tea) , nuts/ Pringles as they are more expensive, maybe some small bags of herbs/ spices you use. Everything else rice , spaghetti , laundry powder etc takes up too much space / weight in your luggage ...Pick it up when you arrive

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,474 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: food stuffs you are allowed to bring into Punta Cana

No need to bring any rice, there is lots there. Rice and beans is a common DR food. We found the grocery stores well stocked and had no problem finding almost everything we needed I’m familiar brands.

You’ll spend more in overweight luggage than the difference in price.

Lethbridge, Alberta
Level Contributor
50 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: food stuffs you are allowed to bring into Punta Cana

If you drink instant coffee, bring your own. Very expensive in DR. Also, artificial sugar expensive. We always bring both of these with us and never have a problem at customs. Many of our friends take brownie mixes and spices and no problem.

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,474 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: food stuffs you are allowed to bring into Punta Cana

We bought coffeemate in the Playero. Not much price difference than here. Better yet, but a bottle of Baileys for morning coffee.

You can buy Tide too. There really is no need to bring anything on your list. Honestly the only thing I could not find was a can of pork n beans.

We bought Hormel Chili in a can.

Santo Domingo Coffee is really good, it’s what people take home for souvenirs, and irs cheaper that US brands.

No need to take a box lunch to a banquet.

Edited: June 10, 2018, 11:53 am
Mentioned in this post
Santo Domingo
Santo Domingo
Dominican Republic
manchester
Level Contributor
2,357 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: food stuffs you are allowed to bring into Punta Cana

We often bring some little snacks like crisps (or I think they are called potato chips for our friends across the pond), chocolate etc as these are often very expensive at hotel shops. Do these need to be declared at the airport? We declared them last year because the form said ‘food’ but they just asked where we were from and waved us through anyway.

Reply to: food stuffs you are allowed to bring into Punta Cana
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Punta Cana