We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excellence vs Secrets

Lewisville, North...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Excellence vs Secrets

We are going to PC next summer early. Trying to decide between the Excellence and Secrets resorts. We want the upgrade to Preferred Club or Excellence Club at either. Would like to sit back and relax on a beautiful beach and some things to do at night as well. Having trouble deciding between the 2! Any advice??

15 replies to this topic
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,285 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excellence vs Secrets

You'll find the better beach at Secrets Cap Cana in my opinion.

Mentioned in this post
Sanctuary Cap Cana by Playa Hotels & Resorts
Sanctuary Cap Cana by...
5,172 Reviews
Dominican Republic
carlisle
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Excellence vs Secrets

We have stayed at both, but never upgraded at either resort. We found Excellence a better resort than Secrets. Also the beach at Excellence was far nicer lots less traffic and noise. In fact the main sounds was the sound of the sea.

Secrets did have far carmer waters to swim in the sea. We're Excellence sea was a lot choppier, more for jumping about in. But you could walk down the beach for miles. We are returning to Excellence in August. We enjoyed Secrets but would not return because the beach is just to busy and noisy for us. 😎

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Excellence vs Secrets

There are two Secrets resorts (Secrets Cap Cana, Secrets Royal Beach) and two Excellence resorts (Excellence Punta Cana, Excellence El Carmen). Which two are you trying to decide between? Or are you trying to decide between all four?

I believe happyincumbria is referencing SRB vs EPC, and Slyguy is referring to SCC.

Again, just want to be clear on if you’re trying to decide on one chain over another or if you’ve already decided on a resort for each chain to compare!

Edited: June 07, 2018, 11:17 pm
Mentioned in this post
Sanctuary Cap Cana by...
5,172 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana
Secrets Royal Beach...
10,875 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Excellence Punta Cana
Excellence Punta Cana
14,343 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Excellence el Carmen
Excellence el Carmen
2,514 Reviews
Dominican Republic
carlisle
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Excellence vs Secrets

Yes sorry I was talking about Secrets Royal Beach and Excellence PC. 😎

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
62,193 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Excellence vs Secrets

We have stayed at both Excellence & secrets Resort and the IMHO the club package is far better at Excellence

Which Excellence and which Secrets are you looking at?

Lewisville, North...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Excellence vs Secrets

Well since you mention it all 4. However I was hoping not to be more than 30 to 40 min at most from airport if possible! Thanks for your help!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
62,193 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Excellence vs Secrets

Hi again

Both Excellence properties are around 45 minutes away from the Airport

Both Excellence and Secrets are great brands but overall we prefer Excellence as you tend to get more bang for your buck and you normally have a couple of more dining options. Al four properties are quite different to each other so it would help if you could spell out a few more likes and dislikes

Secrets Cap Cana has the best beach by far and Excellence Punta Cana has the roughest ocean. At Secrets Royal Beach with it being on a very busy stretch of beach you do have a lot of foot and boat traffic. All four have a mixture of live music and shows in the evening

We were at both Excellence Resorts recently so feel free to check out my reviews. Photos can be found here

https:/…

https:/…

Finally, please note that close to the location of Secrets Cap Cana Hyatt are building two new properties and the construction will be ongoing until Autumn 2019

Mentioned in this post
Sanctuary Cap Cana by...
5,172 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Excellence Punta Cana
Excellence Punta Cana
14,343 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana
Secrets Royal Beach...
10,875 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,318 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Excellence vs Secrets

Since the new highway, it has taken me between 35 and 40 minutes to get to EPC by taxi. EEC would be a few minutes less.

EPC has a beautiful, decidedly uncrowded beach, with the nearest resorts a mile or so away in either direction. Perhaps the largest beach per capita of any resort in the Punta Cana area. The ocean is vigorous there, but I enjoy the sound of the waves.

Mark

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
62,193 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Excellence vs Secrets

Mark

I put 45 minutes as that is what it took us on this last trip. Personally I thought it was still worth it when it too near enough hour when they had the old bumpy road

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,318 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Excellence vs Secrets

It was worth it to me when it took an hour and was bumpy. I can see that at times, traffic conditions could cause it to be longer than what I've experienced, but I've been enough times to say that it's 35 to 40 for the most part, at least early to mid afternoon when I've made the trip.

Mark

Reply to: Excellence vs Secrets
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted