We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about Excursions - First Timer

New York City, New...
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Questions about Excursions - First Timer

Hi,

We will be spending 4 nights at the Zoetry Agua in a couple of weeks. We are interested in maybe doing an excursion or two but this is our first time in the DR and at an all-inclusive and we were wondering the best way to go about it.

Should we book in advance or should we ask about the excursions in the hotel? If we book in advance what are the best sites to use? Is viator.com good?

Also, what are some good recommendations for excursions? We are very into wildlife, snorkeling, etc. Not really into anything too crazy like parasailing or ziplining.

8 replies to this topic
9 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about Excursions - First Timer

It depends on the excursion if I book in advance or on resort . Snorkeling and water sports are cheaper and a dime a dozen once at your destination. But things like Day trips,boat parties , vip club entrances . I purchase in advance to ensure I get a spot.

I’ve read good reviews on mikes tours, it’s more of a local tour

Adventure park is great to keep you busy

Saona Island day trip

Punta Cana helicopter ride

Dolphin park.

Coco bongo for nightlife

9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about Excursions - First Timer

Monkey land

Aroyo Azul

Indigenous eyes .

Good wildlife

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
2,900 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about Excursions - First Timer

IMO book when you get there. Having said that if you are only there for 4 nights do you want to not take advantage of the resort instead of spending 2 days away from it ... Even 1/2 day tours will take up most of your day as Zoetry is one of the further ones out. For a nice snorkeling trip , lunch , relaxed day without a huge travel time ...try Hispaniola Aquatic Adventures ... But you have to book them online

9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about Excursions - First Timer

Personally, when I’m on vacation I don’t spend much time on the resort besides sleeping, eating, relaxing a bit. And most of my time is spent doing activities I can’t do while I’m back at home. I’m not sure of OP’s preference though

Cambs
Level Contributor
146 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about Excursions - First Timer

Don’t book in advance. If you or your group are ill or the weather is naff it’s just not worth it.

Arrive, get settled in, and then book. The wonders of the internet allows for this now, or just book through the resort

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
14,400 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about Excursions - First Timer

You are not going to find much in the way of wildlife in the region, aside from a scurrying skink or a Snowy Egret flying past. As for waiting due to weather, we have about 90% chance of great weather year round. In fact, we are doing rain dances locally as everything is parched...yet again!

There are some mass market tours that can be booked at a moments notice. Usually large groups. The more intimate tours (in both group size and focus) usually require advanced booking. Many require no upfront money (unlike booking at a resort or through a tour reseller), and you are dealing directly with the company...not a 3rd party. Most are owned locally and focused solely on the destination...not scattered all over the world.

4 days will pass quickly, thus I recommend you review the options available and decide in advance, what it is you wish to do. It will allow you to better enjoy the short time you are here!

Cheers and have a great time at Zoetry!

PCMike

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions about Excursions - First Timer

Fou days is very short and is gone before you know it. If you want to do an excursion, my two cents is for "Munchies in Macao." This is hosted by Punta Cana Mike. It is a chance to get off the tourist path and see the Dominican few tourist see.

You will learn about the history, culture and people of the D.R. It is memorable. Pat and Mike are great hosts. We loved the time spent on this adventure. Whatever you choose, hope you have a great trip!

New York City, New...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions about Excursions - First Timer

Thanks. We are only looking to do one half day excursion anyways.

Reply to: Questions about Excursions - First Timer
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted