We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First resort ever!

Duluth, Georgia
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First resort ever!

So I'm going on the 24th for my birthday week celebration with my boyfriend. We're staying at Riu Republica!

I have never been to a resort before let alone an all inclusive one. Now my question to you is what are some things you wish you had brought that you forgot to bring? Or some tips you'd have to give? I also don't want to overpack but that'll probably happen anyways lol

I'm defiantly planning on taking a lot of sunscreen, lotion, pedilyte, band aids, meds, is repellent necessary? Should I still bring a beach towel so its easy to spot my stuff?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Riu Republica
Hotel Riu Republica
3,021 Reviews
Dominican Republic
8 replies to this topic
central ny
Level Contributor
27 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First resort ever!

Towel clips to hold your towel to the chair , an insulated mug( keeps bugs out and keeps drinks cold) and an extension cord in case the wall socket isn't out far enough

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First resort ever!

Towel would just be extra weight. They hotel usually does an OK job with beach towels. They might be in short supply in afternoon. so snag one early. We have discovered packing light is the way to go. My wife brings nice light dresses for dinner.

One thing I recommend is a passport pouch you can wear around your neck. I have found this invaluable. Make sure it has a pen with it. Amazon is a great place to get them.

I also reccommend Dominican Plus (info@dominicanplus.com) They cost about the same as most shuttle services and you get a private van. This saves lots of time getting to and from hotel. They are great.

Enjoy your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Dominican Plus
Dominican Plus
1,820 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Duluth, Georgia
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: First resort ever!

Passport pouch to carry around? I was going to leave it in the safe! I already have transportation included in my package I didn't want to worry about it ahah thank you thou!

Yes I ordered a few dresses for dinner!

I've read lots about the mugs I'm def bringing those I have heard about the towel clips

Thanks guys!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First resort ever!

The pouch is handy in airport, customs and security. Keep passport in room safe unless going shopping or when using credit card. Also, keep your travel itinerary in an email account you can access easily. Keep a hard copy of trip in passport pouch, have needed this more than once. Small things, but save time and hassle.

Another thing. If you are checking luggage, keep the checkin receipt. When you arrive in the Dominican they match your receipt with luggage when you claim it. We tend not to do this in the USA. I keep the recipet in the passport pouch.

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: First resort ever!

These things seem to be a "learn as you go" we've traveled for 25 years and have over packed everyrime..and forgot things as well .but if you have a passport and motel info and money you will be ok . We like to pack a swim outfit in our carry on .but most important bring a great attitude and smile . And all your worries will leave you once you hit the resort.. have fun and good luck you'll do fine

central ny
Level Contributor
27 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First resort ever!

Towel clips to hold your towel to the chair , an insulated mug( keeps bugs out and keeps drinks cold) and an extension cord in case the wall socket isn't out far enough

Duluth, Georgia
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: First resort ever!

Thanks!!!

Allentown, PA
Level Contributor
532 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First resort ever!

Pack a day or two of clothes in your carry on to be safe in the event your checked bagged goes missing....

Reply to: First resort ever!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted