We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Now Onyx vs. Dreams Punta Cana

Norton Shores...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Now Onyx vs. Dreams Punta Cana

We are planning a trip to Punta Cana for spring break in 2018 and have narrowed our search to the two resorts above. We are a family of 7 with three girls at 18, 17, and 16 and two boys at 13 and 10. Concerned after reading about "dated" rooms at Dreams and also hoping for kid friendly options for food.

Also trying to understand beaches and pools, reviews often conflict each other with comments about cleanliness, seaweed, etc.

I know I'm asking a lot but also struggling to understand the value of the preferred clubs when have five kids...

13 replies to this topic
Lake Ariel...
1 post
1 review
1. Re: Now Onyx vs. Dreams Punta Cana

My wife & I have been to Dreams Punta Cana 2x & absolutely love it there. We were scheduled for our 3rd visit Oct 2-7 but due to hurricane Maria Dreams is temporarily closed until Oct 8, so we are being relocated to Now Oynx. Please reply back to my post after Oct 9 & I will let you know what we thought :-)

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
474 posts
386 reviews
2. Re: Now Onyx vs. Dreams Punta Cana

We have kids of a similar age. If we ever decided to bring them to PC, we'd choose Now Onyx so we could go next door to Breathless for an Adults Only experience along with our family vacation. The two resorts have full exchange, but no kids allowed at Breathless. So if mama wants to go topless for a bit, sneak over to Breathless! :)

We've been to PC 10 times without kids and love it. We always book a family cruise before we leave to PC so the kids don't get too upset, LOL! We love our family time, but love our alone time as well.

Enjoy!

Edited: September 28, 2017, 12:50 am
Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
495 posts
19 reviews
3. Re: Now Onyx vs. Dreams Punta Cana

Having stayed at Dreams Palm Beach last November, and being seasoned travelers, I wouldn't go back to Dreams. It was dated, the service was horrible and they actually ran out of vodka 3 days of the 7 we were there. They even ran out of beer one night. Much better resorts out there and we are usually fans of AM Resorts!

Norton Shores...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Now Onyx vs. Dreams Punta Cana

Thanks for the response. Hope you had a great vacation!! Am still trying to decide between DPC and Now Onyx and would value your opinion. Have also been looking at Dreams La Romana if you have any experience there.

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
474 posts
386 reviews
5. Re: Now Onyx vs. Dreams Punta Cana

Just got back from Breathless Sunday. We spent a lot of time at Now Onyx and will almost definitely book there next year! The place was wonderful!

Jackson,NJ
Level Contributor
11,905 posts
186 reviews
6. Re: Now Onyx vs. Dreams Punta Cana

Been to DLR but would not go there with out the club room. They have a real nice beach but the food was just ok.

Edited: October 25, 2017, 12:43 am
Willemstad, Curacao
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
172 reviews
7. Re: Now Onyx vs. Dreams Punta Cana

I stayed at Dreams and had a nice room (not dated at all). Food was good overall (breakfast was very good).

There was always plenty of drinks and also the mini bar at the room was filled up.

Havent been to Onyx but based on the pics the grounds of Dreams look better.

Merrimack, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
8. Re: Now Onyx vs. Dreams Punta Cana

SO how was the Onyx?

Willemstad, Curacao
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
172 reviews
9. Re: Now Onyx vs. Dreams Punta Cana

Onyx would be a better choice especially if you have kids! Much more swimpools (smaller and more) and the ice cream shop is also nice for kids.

Try to get one of the rooms on the ground floor so you can jump in your 'private' pool at the porch

Edited: November 30, 2017, 9:21 pm
Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Now Onyx vs. Dreams Punta Cana

Are these two resorts right next to each other?

Reply to: Now Onyx vs. Dreams Punta Cana
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted