We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I knew It!

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
1,426 posts
2 reviews
11 helpful votes
I knew It!
Save

Last December my brother and I ate a meal at The Bay Tavern in Martins Bay. While there, a dapper looking man who looked surprisingly similar to ex PM Owen Arthur sat down at an adjacent table. As we finished up and prepared to leave, I approached him as said he looked familiar. Note, I didn't say who I thought he looked like and I don't think I would look like a threatening person to anyone. After saying he looked familiar he said to me that he's not the ex Prime Minister, just looks like him.

In last Thursday's Barbados Today, there was a story about the Bay Tavern and how busy it had become on Thursdays. There were pictures accompanying the article, including one of the ex-PM himself liming there. Now I wish I had asked last December if I could have a picture taken of us with this fellow who was 'not' the ex-PM. No way in Canada or the U.S. would anyone get this close to a former PM or president.

http://www.barbadostoday.bb/2015/05/22/tavern-with-everything-on-the-bay/

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
22,227 posts
72 reviews
74 helpful votes
1. Re: I knew It!
Save

Smokey , Owen Arthur is often seen in different Restaurants I'm sure you will get another chance if you keep an eye out for him.

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
21,868 posts
23 reviews
14 helpful votes
2. Re: I knew It!
Save

@ Smokey - sorry to disagree with your comment -" No way in Canada or the U.S. would anyone get this close to a former PM or president." - Some years ago - former PM Joe Clark and Maureen McTeer (Mrs Joe Clark) used to stay with friends at their home in Sandy Lane - and in the years when the "Canadian contingent" used to faithfully go to Chris' Place in Rock Dundo for ribs on a Friday night - Joe and Maureen joined in - sat along with the rest of us - chatted - munched - drank Banks and had a good time - so it can happen with other ex-PMs too :)

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
13,935 posts
63 reviews
78 helpful votes
3. Re: I knew It!
Save

ASO,

Not only does it happen in Barbados but also Canada. There have been a number of occasions where ex. PM's have been seen casually walking the various streets of the city and no one bothered them or if someone did go up to them they were very graciously treated.

Plus recently I was in southern California and an ex President was easily available to the public, not a problem.

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
1,426 posts
2 reviews
11 helpful votes
4. Re: I knew It!
Save

Huh. Didn't know that.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
13,935 posts
63 reviews
78 helpful votes
5. Re: I knew It!
Save

Yes, it happens quite often and it's never been a problem.

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
21,868 posts
23 reviews
14 helpful votes
6. Re: I knew It!
Save

Agree Canby, We've found most of the VIPs we've encountered are perfectly nice, polite, "ordinary" people...

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,756 posts
444 reviews
735 helpful votes
7. Re: I knew It!
Save

Ah yes, Mr. Arthur is and has always been a big fan of the Bay Tavern. It's quite normal to see him there.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
6,932 posts
27 reviews
41 helpful votes
8. Re: I knew It!
Save

I've stood behind Mr. Arthur in the supermarket before.. on several occasions.. when his daughter was much younger, we also used to see him with her at Paynes Bay having a swim.. I can't, however, say that about several other PM's and other dignitaries on the island..

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,756 posts
444 reviews
735 helpful votes
9. Re: I knew It!
Save

Sunniebgi

Let me guess, Massy Stores Warrens? That's the supermarket I usually see him in as well.

Regards

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
21,868 posts
23 reviews
14 helpful votes
10. Re: I knew It!
Save

@Canby - yes - the ones we met have all been "normal" - (some years ago - we were at a party in Ottawa and a man "came up and said to me "Hi I'm Ray" - so said "yes, I recognize you"....( it was ex GG Ray Hnatyshyn) - not pompous -stuffy - or self important - just ordinarily friendly) ... I think as long as VIPs are left alone - and it is up to them to initiate conversations - all is well - we did hear that when Prince Harry was on leave with his and girl friend and they were hanging out in Lexys - all was well - until someone came up and intruded on their "private conversation" - at which point they left......couldn't blame them ..... not on duty - so ...... IOHO best to leave dignitaries alone and not intrude...( they can say always say Hi if they want )

© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.