We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zen or L'Azure with re-discover?

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
35 posts
13 reviews
5 helpful votes
Zen or L'Azure with re-discover?
Save

My husband and I are staying at the Crane for our upcoming trip to Barbados. We fly in on Dec 6, and we thought we would dine on-site for our first night in. Question: Would you recommend Zen or L'Azure? The menus at both look good. Zen looks like it has higher ratings here on TA, but L'Azure has the re-discover deal which is tempting. Suggestions?

I suppose we may end up at both restaurants before the week is done, but maybe not as we tend to gravitate toward more casual hole-in-the-wall type places on vacation.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
5,183 posts
192 reviews
202 helpful votes
1. Re: Zen or L'Azure with re-discover?
Save

Whilst we prefer Zen, if you are only going to eat once at the Crane I would say you should use Lazure. With the view and the warm breezes it's is fantastic. The rediscover menu is excellent.

If you want to keep costs down at Zen try the tasting menus. We usually have one of each and share. Enjoy.

Edited: 7 years ago
Derbyshire Dame
Level Contributor
574 posts
77 reviews
87 helpful votes
2. Re: Zen or L'Azure with re-discover?
Save

Another L'Azure fan here, too, it's spectacular and the atmosphere is unforgettable

Enjoy

W-D

Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for St. Lawrence Gap
Level Contributor
5,060 posts
30 reviews
28 helpful votes
3. Re: Zen or L'Azure with re-discover?
Save

damasust & wheela-deala,

Is the Sunday Gospel Breakfast Buffet good and worth the money ?

Derbyshire Dame
Level Contributor
574 posts
77 reviews
87 helpful votes
4. Re: Zen or L'Azure with re-discover?
Save

BRETTSKI8, we certainly enjoyed the Sunday Gospel Brunch. The singing moved us to tears it was indescribably beautiful, food was good, too, for a buffet. We had heard people felt rushed but this wasn't our experience going to the second sitting.

Regards

W-D

Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for St. Lawrence Gap
Level Contributor
5,060 posts
30 reviews
28 helpful votes
5. Re: Zen or L'Azure with re-discover?
Save

Thanks.

May give it a try next month. It has been quite a while since i was last at the Crane.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
4,155 posts
19 reviews
106 helpful votes
6. Re: Zen or L'Azure with re-discover?
Save

We went in May Brett, hadn't been for quite a few years and we really enjoyed it, we took my parents. I always think the first sitting in the L'Azure restaurant is nicest with the views. You will be surprised how the gardens look if you haven't been in a while, the planting is looking really good.

Barbados
Level Contributor
2,213 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
7. Re: Zen or L'Azure with re-discover?
Save

Personally, I would only do the L'Azure with the re-discover menu if I really wanted to eat the few choices that are on the menu, and if I intended to have a 3-course meal to begin with. I am not much of a fish lover, and I like my meat, so the only main course on the menu I'd eat is the chicken. I do like butternut squash soup, so the app is perfect. For dessert I like chocolate, and there isn't really any on the menu. I would probably have the bread pudding, but generally speaking after 2 courses I would be too full to eat it! I guess I could ask for it take-away.

Now when we eat at Zen we don't have dessert, so right away we're only buying 2 courses. I also might have a glass or 2 of wine and DH prefers beer. So we're not paying for a bottle anyway. If I am in the mood for an app I will not be able to eat all of my Thai curry, but that is something that reheats really well the next day for lunch!

One option is to do the re-discover at L'Azure, and then do Zen take-out one day - something to share to keep the cost down, or some sushi apps. Not a bad light supper when you've had a hearty food van lunch or something.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
5,183 posts
192 reviews
202 helpful votes
8. Re: Zen or L'Azure with re-discover?
Save

Brettski, we don't do the Gospel Breakfast every year but we did this year and were not disappointed. They use 2 gospel groups and I have to say that one is better than the other so it's pot luck. That's perhaps down to taste and you might prefer the one I don't? There is plenty of choice for breakfast.

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
35 posts
13 reviews
5 helpful votes
9. Re: Zen or L'Azure with re-discover?
Save

Thanks everyone! This is all really helpful information. I think that we will do both. If they are both indeed good restaurants, it seems crazy not to try them both. And thanks for the tips for stretching our dollar at Zen. We will be staying at the Crane for a week, so we will have plenty of time to try a mix of upscale and casual. We don't mind paying for good quality and ambiance, but I also love little local hideaways. Can't wait to try it all!

10. Re: Zen or L'Azure with re-discover?

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: October 17, 2015, 12:20 pm
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.