We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel on west coast recommendations please

UK
Level Contributor
435 posts
10 reviews
5 helpful votes
Hotel on west coast recommendations please
Save

Hi

We will be coming to Barbados on 1st June for 9 nights and will be looking for an all inclusive hotel that has good food options, not to worn out rooms and suitable for a 2 year old.

So far the almond beach resort seems to tick all the boxes but of course I can't read any reviews yet and just saw one comment about how only one half of the old hotel has been renovated. The hotel that hasn't been renovated, would it effect our trip in anyway or are they a reasonable distance from each other?

We are happy to pay around $400 a night for 2 adults, 1 toddler - all inclusive.

We've stayed at the Waves (on our honeymoon 4 years ago) and had a wonderful time but would like try somewhere different. We do like the idea that the ABR will be almost new but are there any others on the west coast for our budget you think would be better?

Many thanks!!

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
1. Re: Hotel on west coast recommendations please
Save

Check out Crystal Cove.

UK
Level Contributor
435 posts
10 reviews
5 helpful votes
2. Re: Hotel on west coast recommendations please
Save

I definitely will.

Does anyone know if Crystal Cove has recently been renovated (in last couple of years)?

We met a couple on our last trip who weren't very positive about it but that was 4 years ago!

Thank you

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
21,868 posts
23 reviews
14 helpful votes
3. Re: Hotel on west coast recommendations please
Save

Almond Beach is not being totally renovated - there is one section that opened yesterday that has been redone - but there is no point in renovating the whole huge place as it has been sold to Sandals to open a family style Beaches resort in about 4 yrs time - so while Sandals is making plans or hiring architects or doing whatever they do prior to commencing demolition - Bernie Weatherhead has leased the property from Sandals and reopened the one section - and provided 120 new jobs for Bajans - and made a lot of ex ABV guests happy so they can return for this year and maybe next? prior to it being demolished and rebuilt as a Beaches Resort.

UK
Level Contributor
435 posts
10 reviews
5 helpful votes
4. Re: Hotel on west coast recommendations please
Save

Thank you for the information and that's great news about the jobs!!

Are you able to say whether the side that isn't being renovated will be seen by the side that has? Or is it a fair enough distance away?

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
21,868 posts
23 reviews
14 helpful votes
5. Re: Hotel on west coast recommendations please
Save

as we understand it -it is blocked off - not going to be an issue as far as I can tell. - Think the section being used is a sort of "stand alone" part.;

UK
Level Contributor
435 posts
10 reviews
5 helpful votes
6. Re: Hotel on west coast recommendations please
Save

Ok thank you.

We've booked our flights but hesitating on booking ABR. Any other suggestions welcome that are all inclusive and 4 or 5 star (although might not get 5 with approx $400 a night budget).

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
21,868 posts
23 reviews
14 helpful votes
7. Re: Hotel on west coast recommendations please
Save

Think you are being very very optimistic to expect 4/5* on that budget - very doubtful - you might find Mango Bay in one of their standard rooms is OK for that - don't think ABR is 4 or 5* - more likely to be 3 to 3-i/2 - but in Canada - Mango Bay is not classed as 4 star either - only 3 1/2* - believe it is 4* in GB .... Discovery Bay would have been an option - but with the work on the fluidiser due to recommence this summer (maybe? - Govt money>??) - wouldn't suggest that - best option is not to go AI but stay at a place like Tropical Sunset - right on the beach, pool, centre of Holetown, restaurant next door - supermarket over the road - much less expensive and really can't see much difference.

Edited: 7 years ago
UK
Level Contributor
435 posts
10 reviews
5 helpful votes
8. Re: Hotel on west coast recommendations please
Save

Thanks again, yes I am being optimistic ha ha I've been looking at all the hotels on the west coast and crystal cove is approx $500 a night which we could stretch to. I was basing the $400 a night on ABR prices that we have been given. We really want all inclusive. Maybe we should just take a chance with ABR and hope the reviews start coming in positively!!

UK
Level Contributor
435 posts
10 reviews
5 helpful votes
9. Re: Hotel on west coast recommendations please
Save

ABR is being advertised on UK websites as 4 star.

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
21,868 posts
23 reviews
14 helpful votes
10. Re: Hotel on west coast recommendations please
Save

Would expect Bernie Weatherhead to live up to his rep. and the hotel to be OK

© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.