We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walkable and bikeable?

Waterford...
Level Contributor
224 posts
115 reviews
56 helpful votes
Walkable and bikeable?
Save

My husband and I are planning our 15 year wedding anniversary trip for December 2022. We are looking to be where the beaches and water is amazing, but that also has cute, colorful quaint & safe towns. We are at the very infancy stage of our search, where should be start? What island will give us that amazing water and beach where we can walk around outside and look at beautiful colorful buildings and shop little outside markets? We'd love to be able to park and walk and/or bike everywhere. TIA

7 replies to this topic
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
572 posts
6 reviews
5 helpful votes
1. Re: Walkable and bikeable?
Save

Anguilla isn’t that really. There is no real town (someone else can correct me if I’m wrong). It’s a pretty isolated and exclusive island. Not super easy to get to and spend$$$ once you reach it.

We love Carimar as you can walk to a few restaurant on the beach. But the walk from Carimar to the Ritz in the summer will leave you passed out in your rum punch, sand is heavy and there is no board walk.

May I suggest - Aruba, St John, St Kitts, Curaçao, Antigua.

South Jersey
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
2. Re: Walkable and bikeable?
Save

Where in Anguilla is the Ritz???

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
572 posts
6 reviews
5 helpful votes
3. Re: Walkable and bikeable?
Save

meant 4S! Or whatever that is at the end of the beach off on it’s own.

Edited: April 06, 2021, 10:21 am
Boston
Level Contributor
694 posts
13 reviews
23 helpful votes
4. Re: Walkable and bikeable?
Save

I would not consider the island a good option for biking. Narrow roads and not great condition

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
926 posts
33 reviews
50 helpful votes
5. Re: Walkable and bikeable?
Save

Amazing water and beaches-yes! The best we have ever seen. Anguilla is a scrubby island - no scenic mountain views - but the downside of mountainous islands is the beaches are small and tucked-in. Not so here. Broad and stunning.

Walkable cute town? No. There is not a central "cute tourist shopping area" - boutiques, galleries, souvenir places, etc are scattered around the island (some on the beaches, some on the main road, etc). I suppose the closest thing would be the main drag at Sandy Ground, but that is only a few shopping places. There are picturesque buildings dotted around here and there (look up the "pink house" - but be respectful as it is a private home).

Bike-able - you do see competitive riders cruising the streets, but it's not a place where you rent bikes and casually beach-hop.

With your timing, (hopefully) any Covid restrictions are long gone, so you'll rent a car to get around. Navigation is straightforward to the major beaches and restaurant areas... if you go off the beaten path, half the fun is figuring out *exactly* which dusty road is the one you want :)

We get our walking fix in on the beaches, whether just going for a walk or actually having a purpose (walking to lunch at a beachfront place). Of the major beaches, Shoal Bay East and Rendezvous are the best for long walks as they have areas of flatter/firmer sand near the water. Meads is hit or miss for "easy" walking although it's always gorgeous - sometimes the berm is very steep and the sand is so very pillowy soft at the top.

What Anguilla lacks in a "shopping district" it makes up for in dining variety at all price points. Everywhere from $$$ fancy to roadside BBQ. Our list of restaurants we want to re-visit, combined with new places we've yet to try, now exceeds the number of meals one couple can reasonably eat in a 10-day trip...

If a proper "downtown" shopping/walking area is a dealbreaker for you, I think you need a more populous island. Of those we've visited, Aruba and St. Maarten fit that bill, but the trade-off is a more commercialized/mass market feeling. Perhaps you could combine a week on Anguilla with a few days near Philipsburg? Or St. Barth's is easily accessible by mini-plane (have not been personally, though.)

Waterford...
Level Contributor
224 posts
115 reviews
56 helpful votes
6. Re: Walkable and bikeable?
Save

Thank you for the suggestions. I’ve heard Pilipsburg might fit the bill which I’ll check out.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
2,848 posts
99 reviews
163 helpful votes
7. Re: Walkable and bikeable?
Save

RMG07 perfect description!!

Reply to: Walkable and bikeable?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Anguilla
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.