We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Highlands

Delray Beach...
7 posts
Driving to Highlands
Save

We are driving from Delray Beach Florida to Highlands NC in June. What is the best route, least scary in terms of twisty turns? Fewest traffic jams? Better to go north from Atlanta, or north on 95 to Savanna and then northwest?

Thanks, Mary

3 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
21,842 posts
106 reviews
72 helpful votes
1. Re: Driving to Highlands
Save

Hwy 64 in the Highlands is where you will find some pretty winding roads. No matter which direction you approach from it’s pretty smooth Until you get to highlands. We love Savannah. I would consider the I-95 to Savannah to Highlands on the way up then return using Hwy 129 to I-75 with an overnight in Ocala.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
435 posts
52 reviews
56 helpful votes
2. Re: Driving to Highlands
Save

Highlands roads aren't as twisty as some other areas, I wouldn't worry too much about it!

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
22 reviews
15 helpful votes
3. Re: Driving to Highlands
Save

I-95 goes nowhere near Highlands. I think I would take I-26 to Hendersonville then tur left on 64. It gets a little windy but there are some great stops along the way. Hendersonville, Brevard , Lake Toxaway, and Cashiers are all worth a short detour

Reply to: Driving to Highlands
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about North Carolina...
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.