We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

April short hikes plus Asheville to Atlanta drive

Hubertus
Level Contributor
525 posts
1 review
April short hikes plus Asheville to Atlanta drive
Save

I've rescheduled my solo June 2020 trip (cancelled due to Covid) to mid-April. I'm working on planning out my Asheville portion. I'm driving from West Ashley, SC (visiting plantations) to my Airbnb near Arden, NC on Thursday, April 15. Friday I have tickets for Biltmore. Saturday I have a free day for easy hiking, scenic driving, maybe a thrift store or two. Sunday I drive to Atlanta. On Sunday I'm thinking of doing the Georgia aquarium around 4pm (open until 8pm). I have a hotel at the Atlanta airport and fly home Monday morning. So I have around 7 hours for the drive and stops between my Arden Airbnb and the Georgia Aquarium.

I'm looking at two different routes to Atlanta:

First is roughly going towards Sylva - Franklin - Clayton - Atlanta. About 3.5 hours according to to other posts suggesting this route. Possibly adding in some of BRP if I don't do BRP on Saturday, which would obviously add more time.

The second is going towards Brevard - Cashiers - Highlands - Clayton - Atlanta. About 4 hours?

I'm traveling solo so I'm the only driver. I'm interested in short stops and hikes. I tend to like rivers/waterfalls/canyons more than high elevation/view hikes, but looking for variety of hikes between Saturday and Sunday. I also like wildflowers. I have two non-hiking stops on my radar for Sunday: Cindy's Dragonfly shop in Dillard and Fortify Pi for pizza in Clayton. I would like to hike at Tallulah Falls, but they are capping the number of people due to Covid. I have a feeling I can't count of getting in on a Sunday afternoon. Maybe an alternative short hike in the area?

I'm also trying to figure out a plan for my full Saturday in Asheville. I'm considering BRP south from NC Arboretum (Black Balsam Knob hike?), Driving down 276 for Moore Cove, etc. Possibly also including 215 for Mill Shoals. But might change this day up depending on what route and stops I plan for Sunday to Atlanta.

I really would appreciate any suggestions for both Saturday and Sunday considering the time of year, my interests and that I'm traveling solo. I can't seem to wrap my head around the best options for either day!

2 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
21,840 posts
106 reviews
72 helpful votes
1. Re: April short hikes plus Asheville to Atlanta drive
Save

Not hikes but good stops, Dry Falls in the Highlands area a short walk down some steps and you can walk behind the falls. Near Tallulah Falls is Anna Ruby Falls and near Dahlonega is Amicalola Falls. These are all steps (around 600 per fells). There are viewing platforms along the way. You can either start at the bottom and walk up or drive to the top and walk down. There is a trail at Amicalola which we hiked (not knowing about the steps and the drive).

Hubertus
Level Contributor
525 posts
1 review
2. Re: April short hikes plus Asheville to Atlanta drive
Save

Thanks for the suggestions! I will look into those stops.

Reply to: April short hikes plus Asheville to Atlanta drive
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.