We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort Suggestions

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Georgetown
Level Contributor
1,903 posts
159 reviews
138 helpful votes
Resort Suggestions
Save

Hi - We would appreciate suggestions for a nice, quiet place to spend a few days in May-June. For those familiar with Greystone Inn, it's the model for what we're seeking. We like it very much but are having trouble finding dates that work. I'm not sure "resort" is the best term, because we don't need amenities like spas, golf, etc. Basically, we're looking for quiet relaxation, with nice accommodations, preferably with private outside space. Lake views (like Greystone Inn) would be a homerun. An onsite restaurant would be nice, along with a couple restaurants within relatively close driving distance. Nearby waterfalls and easy trails would be a bonus. Otherwise, we don't need entertainment. For that reason, Asheville is off the table for this trip. We'd like to keep it in the $400/night range, but would stretch for the perfect place. Thanks for any and all feedback.

16 replies to this topic
United States
Level Contributor
1,252 posts
6 reviews
5 helpful votes
1. Re: Resort Suggestions
Save

You're going to hate me because my response may be quite useless, and if I've missed something in the original post let me know, but...

Why not go back to the Greystone Inn? (And btw I've been there and can agree that it's great)

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,903 posts
159 reviews
138 helpful votes
2. Re: Resort Suggestions
Save

Thanks for your feedback. Although we enjoy experiencing new places, we would gladly go back to Greystone Inn. Unfortunately, availability on the dates we can travel is very limited, so we're seeking other options for this trip.

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Resort Suggestions
Save

Check out Highland Lake Inn.

https://hliresort.com/

Hard to come up with a comparable property to Greystone.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1,778 posts
22 reviews
15 helpful votes
4. Re: Resort Suggestions
Save

High Hampton might work. It’s not a resort per se, but Gideon Ridge, in Blowing Rock has the view and the restaurant, and very excellent service. Chetola and West Glow Spa, also in Blowing Rock, are also quite nice

Chattanooga...
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
13,253 posts
146 reviews
76 helpful votes
5. Re: Resort Suggestions
Save

In the Blowing Rock area there is Chetola Resort (lake and restaurant) and Gideon Ridge( no lake).

www.chetola.com

www.Gideonridge.com

www.BlowingRock.com

www.exploreBoone.com

www.blueridgeparkway.com

In Robbinsville, NC there is Snowbird Lodge. www.snowbirdlodge.com

Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,179 posts
147 reviews
162 helpful votes
6. Re: Resort Suggestions
Save

Considering inquiring into the following:

Tapoco Lodge, Robbinsville.

The Swag, near Waynesville on the GSMNP border.

Chetola Resort in Blowing Rock.

On the Tennessee side, the Blackberry Farm near Walland just outside the Park.

Of these properties, Chetola is really an outlier from the group but it is an option in upper west Carolina. Based upon the Greystone, The Swag may be the closest to your desires. Good luck.

United States
Level Contributor
1,252 posts
6 reviews
5 helpful votes
7. Re: Resort Suggestions
Save

Got it. Some other places to try could be

Highlands Inn

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g49215-d224596-Reviews-Highlands_Inn_Lodge-Highlands_North_Carolina.html

Key Falls Inn

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g49442-d1102134-Reviews-Key_Falls_Inn-Pisgah_Forest_North_Carolina.html

Laurelwood Inn

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g49009-d1483787-Reviews-Laurelwood_Inn-Cashiers_Jackson_County_North_Carolina.html

However honestly, none are really comparable to the Greystone Inn. They might work though.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
435 posts
52 reviews
56 helpful votes
8. Re: Resort Suggestions
Save

Chetola is more a condo development - Westglow Spa is definitely worth your while although the pricing is over $400/night. Also try Half Mile Farm in Highlands which is really wonderful with waterfalls everywhere.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
876 posts
66 reviews
36 helpful votes
9. Re: Resort Suggestions
Save

The Old Edwards Inn in Highlands is a renowned resort for those that like high class accommodations in a town with just enough do to be quite interesting. And its a higher elevation than Lake Toxaway which cools the temps nicely.

They have about 3 places to stay in Highlands... The Original inn...200 Main, and a scenic property on the outskirts of Highlands.

By the way, we liked The Greystone as well... Scenic and relaxing.

Edited: March 23, 2021, 8:08 am
Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,903 posts
159 reviews
138 helpful votes
10. Re: Resort Suggestions
Save

Wow! Just reading thru all the posts; thanks for all the great suggestions. Lots to research but have already seen several that look very appealing. I'm sure I'll be back with questions after I do my homework. We appreciate everybody's help.

Reply to: Resort Suggestions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about North Carolina...
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.