We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kenai Fjords with toddlers

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
8 helpful votes
Kenai Fjords with toddlers
Save

Hello, we are traveling in July with a 3 and 4.5 year old. They love animals and are very active. I want them to see wildlife, because they are obsessed with seeing whales. But, they are also 3 and 4, so I’m not sure what our options are. Has anyone taken small kids to Alaska, specifically Kenai Fjords, and have any advice or tips?

Thanks!

4 replies to this topic
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
10,938 posts
1. Re: Kenai Fjords with toddlers
Save

"they are obsessed with seeing whales"

What is it they would expect? First, while your chances of seeing a whale on a KF cruise are very good (90+%), it is not guaranteed. Second, most people see only dorsal fins as the whales breathe and tails as they dive. Maybe 15% of tours get to see breaching (jumping out of the water). Third, by law, boats can't approach humpbacks closer than 100 yards--sometimes the whales decide to come closer to the boat, other times they don't. Lastly, a Kenai Fjords cruise isn't about whales...it's about scenery, all wildlife that might be spotted (expect long stretches in between sightings) and of course time spent near tidewater glaciers hoping for calving.

Alaska
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
2. Re: Kenai Fjords with toddlers
Save

If you really want to share whales, with your young children, you’d be better served to head to Maui. I spent 12 years going to Hawaii, all the time, and had many vacations, with the whales, who were there at the same time. Whale watches on Maui are inexpensive, or rather, they used to be! Lol....haven’t been there, since late 2018. They’re also only a couple hours long, and can be intensely exciting, when the whales are present.

Whales behave much differently in Alaska, because they’re feeding, less breeching action. They can disappear underwater for long stretches of time. My WW’s, when visiting Maui, were easy, fun and warm, usually found plenty of action to satisfy even youngsters.

MM was spot on with her explanation to you for what it is in Alaska. You might try Juneau. That is where folks go in Alaska, for much better chances of whale sightings. Deb

P.S. Whales spend winter in Hawaii, and summer in Alaska.

Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
1 helpful vote
3. Re: Kenai Fjords with toddlers
Save

I would add to Alaska4Life's post that San Diego, Seattle and Vancouver (WA) will have excellent whale watching opportunities for less expensive travel options than Hawaii or Alaska. However I don't want o discourage you from going to Alaska or anywhere else, I'm sure your kids will enjoy many things about the trip, we traveled as kids and while my memories are stronger when I was older, learning to travel well is a good life skill IMO. Best wishes and safe travels

Alaska
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
4. Re: Kenai Fjords with toddlers
Save

To bounce off JavaJaba.......there is so much more to Alaska than just whales! I def did not mean to steer you away from up here. Our kids can tell you Alaska is a blast for kids of ALL ages.

I’ve whale watched off Victoria, in BC, and saw none, just one WW, with a friend. Canada blew my mind with its beauty. Only been there once. Good suggestions, for other ways to get whales. Deb

Reply to: Kenai Fjords with toddlers
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kenai Fjords National...
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.