We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Tahoe to Crater Lake

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
42 posts
15 reviews
2 helpful votes
Lake Tahoe to Crater Lake
Save

We’re planning to drive from Palisades Tahoe to Crater Lake. Is there more than one route? And is one better? And are there motels within a short drive to spend a night before or after a park visit?

Thanks!

7 replies to this topic
Roseburg, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
45 reviews
17 helpful votes
1. Re: Lake Tahoe to Crater Lake
Save

The quickest and easiest route is to take I-80 West from Truckee to Sacramento, then I-5 North to Weed, then US-97 to Klamath Falls for the night. K Falls is 1 hour from Crater Lake. In place of K Falls you could stay on I-5 and spend the night in Ashland, Oregon or Medford. Medford is 1.5 miles from Crater Lake and 7 hours from Palisades.

The most scenic route is to take CA-89 north from Truckee to I-5 at Mt Shasta City, then I-5 north to Weed, etc. This is the shortest and slowest route, because it goes through Lassen Volcanic NP and is a windy mountain road most of the way. You don't want to drive CA-89 after dark, because of potential wild animal vs vehicle encounters.

Another route is to take I-80 East to Reno, then US-395 north to Alturas, then CA-299 east to CA-139, then CA 139 north to K Falls. I haven't driven this route.

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
128,522 posts
8,662 reviews
4,185 helpful votes
2. Re: Lake Tahoe to Crater Lake
Save

You can stay in Squaw valley, north lake tahoe, or truckee for the Lake Tahoe portion.

For Crater Lake, check if the lodge in the park has availability,

Closest then is historic diamond lake resort.

https://www.diamondlake.net/

other options after that

https://www.tripstodiscover.com/best-places-to-stay-near-crater-lake-national-park/

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
42 posts
15 reviews
2 helpful votes
3. Re: Lake Tahoe to Crater Lake
Save

The scenic route sounds good, but is the mountain road a difficult drive in the daytime? 2 lane? Paved?

Thank you for your suggestions!

Camp Sherman, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,964 posts
4. Re: Lake Tahoe to Crater Lake
Save

The quickest distance and time wise is Leonord's third option.

Slightly shorter is 395/Susanville/139/KFalls.

I've done both many times, but pulling a travel trailer.

Don't know where you are heading after but there are many hotels off 97 and 62 in the area.

Roseburg, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
45 reviews
17 helpful votes
5. Re: Lake Tahoe to Crater Lake
Save

I have friends who swear by the third route to get to Reno.

CA-89 is a 2 lane paved road and no problems driving in the daylight. The speed limit is 45 MPH in Lassen National Park.

Willamette Valley
Level Contributor
172 posts
6. Re: Lake Tahoe to Crater Lake
Save

Correction to #1. Medford is not 1.5 MILES from Crater Lake, almost certainly meant 1.5 HOURS.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
42 posts
15 reviews
2 helpful votes
7. Re: Lake Tahoe to Crater Lake
Save

Thank you everyone!

Reply to: Lake Tahoe to Crater Lake
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Crater Lake National...
© 2023 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.