We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Few hours at Crater Lake in Late June

Franklin, Kentucky
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
2 helpful votes
Few hours at Crater Lake in Late June
Save

We will be travelling from Crescent City, Ca to Eugene, Or to catch our flight home. We had planned to take a few hours to see Crater Lake. No hiking, just driving or visiting the visitor center. I understand Hwy 58 is quite scenic with a covered bridge and waterfall. My question is would it be worth driving Hwy 58 to see those sights and Crater Lake at the end of June. I realize that there will probably still be a lot of snow and I don't know if it is worth the drive or if we should take another route back to Eugene. At this point we will have stayed at Depoe Bay and have explored the Oregon coastline. Any recommendations for things to see on the way back to Eugene if we don't go to Crater Lake? Thank you in advance!

5 replies to this topic
Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
14,098 posts
223 reviews
115 helpful votes
1. Re: Few hours at Crater Lake in Late June
Save

To be clear, you're flying out of Eugene same day? What time?

Roseburg, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
45 reviews
17 helpful votes
2. Re: Few hours at Crater Lake in Late June
Save

To drive from Crescent City to Eugene via Crater Lake will take at least 7 hours of constant driving. Do you have the time?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
45,966 posts
1,130 reviews
2,811 helpful votes
3. Re: Few hours at Crater Lake in Late June
Save

Yes, this depends on your flight schedule. If you don't have time, I-5 is the only option. It's not super-scenic, but it's far from ugly :-)

You might like to stop at Wolf Creek Inn & Tavern, Oregon's oldest continuous lodging. I think the restaurant is open weekends only now.

Bay Area,CA
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
4. Re: Few hours at Crater Lake in Late June
Save

You might want to see some of the covered bridges along the way - https://traveloregon.com/map/dorena-bridge/covered-bridges/?s=

Gresham, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
14 reviews
6 helpful votes
5. Re: Few hours at Crater Lake in Late June
Save

I just have to make this comment especially for people back east. The western states are big and it takes time to get from point A to point B. Oregon has just over 98,000 square miles. The states of Indiana, west Virginia. And Kentucky combined are slightly over 100,000.

Reply to: Few hours at Crater Lake in Late June
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Crater Lake National...
© 2023 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.