We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day hikes to rifugio near Colfosco

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
80 posts
5 reviews
Day hikes to rifugio near Colfosco
Save

Hi there- I'm staying in Colfosco this summer. I'd like to stay at a rifugio one night. I'm looking for suggestions for an easy to moderately difficult hike that's perhaps a half or full day's hike away from Colfosco with a rifugio at the end. Then I would return the following day by foot. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Thank you!

8 replies to this topic
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Oman, California, Yukon, Chile, Argentina, Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,931 posts
7 reviews
9 helpful votes
1. Re: Day hikes to rifugio near Colfosco
Save

Maybe this helps:

https://www.altabadia.org/en/italian-alps-dolomites/food-and-drink/mountain-huts-dolomites.html

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
122 posts
118 reviews
99 helpful votes
2. Re: Day hikes to rifugio near Colfosco
Save

Check out Rifugio Gardenacia. It was one of my favorite huts - very picturesque and terrific food - and the hike is beautiful (and I think a perfect distance from Colfosco with maybe a stop at Puez for lunch). http://www.gardenacia.it/en/refuge-alta-badia

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
80 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Day hikes to rifugio near Colfosco
Save

Thanks, @ReiseBeate. I have seen that list of rifugi but it's hard to know how far everything is from Colfosco. I'm using Google Maps, which doesn't necessarily have accurate walk times. Any suggestions for an online hike planner with GPS would be appreciated!

Thanks so much, @TxTree! I will definitely look into Rifugio Gardenacia. That sounds like a perfect day!

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,931 posts
7 reviews
9 helpful votes
4. Re: Day hikes to rifugio near Colfosco
Save

Amanda, if you click at my link and there on "Details" for every single hut you'll find more information, as the website of this hut. And there you'll see it on Google-Maps, and will find a detailed explanation how to reach and how long it takes hiking there a.s.o. Sometimes this information is only in italien or german language (Google translator will help), but often it is also in english.

And if you google "hiking trails colfucso" you'll find thausends of web-information.

There are so many possibilities in that part of Italy, almost every mountain has a hut and a hiking-trail to it.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
122 posts
118 reviews
99 helpful votes
5. Re: Day hikes to rifugio near Colfosco
Save

Amanda, I did a hut-to-hut trip a few years ago and tried to plan it on my own. I was totally confounded by the book everyone uses (Walking in the Dolomites, I'm looking at it now and I still don't understand it) and the websites. Because the mountains are so steep and the terrain (and weather) can be variable, it is really difficult to gauge what a reasonable distance is. I ended up using a wonderful company called Holimites to map it out and reserve at the huts. They were great and I would highly recommend them (including if you want a guide for a via ferrata day, which was a highlight of our trip). That said, I think Gardenacia would work for you based on this post: https://www.moonhoneytravel.com/rifugio-puez-hike-puez-odle-dolomites/

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
122 posts
118 reviews
99 helpful votes
6. Re: Day hikes to rifugio near Colfosco
Save

Also, one more suggestion - hiking poles are really useful in the Dolomites!

Edited: May 18, 2021, 6:28 am
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,931 posts
7 reviews
9 helpful votes
7. Re: Day hikes to rifugio near Colfosco
Save

Yes, hiking poles are useful for most of us. But there are lots of hikers without. And on o via ferrata they are a hindrance. But I don't think Amanda will do Via Ferratas?

Amanda: you don't need an operator for such hikes. But I strongly recommend asking every day in the visitorcenter for the next. There you'd get the newest information about what trails are possible, what the weather will be, how lang a trail will take, what huts will be open a.s.o.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
80 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: Day hikes to rifugio near Colfosco
Save

Thanks, @TxTree and @ReiseBeate! For some reason I didn't get notified of your responses. I have Walking in the Dolomites and agree that it is confusing! I've been to Trentino Alto Adige several times (and did a few guided hikes) but have never been to Val Badia. I can't wait!!

I am considering doing a via ferrata but would definitely want a guide for that so I'll look into Holomites. I will definitely go to the visitors center as it looks like it's close to where I'm staying.

I really appreciate your responses!!

Reply to: Day hikes to rifugio near Colfosco
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Colfosco
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.