We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cycle route

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Kefalonia
Level Contributor
14,003 posts
91 reviews
68 helpful votes
Cycle route
Save

Hi folks,

Really this question should be in the Norfolk forum but my query is about a place that is nearer Bungay than Norwich!

Sustrains cycle route 1 North/East of Ditcham goes up Lugs Lane. Near Manor Farm Cottage, on the opposite side of the road is an interesting signpost marking the "New Millenium" and a cycle route. (Grid Reference TG345955).

Anybody know anything about it and are there any other similar markers? I know it was donated by RBS.

Thanks.

Bob

2 replies to this topic
Great Yarmouth...
Destination Expert
for Norwich, Great Yarmouth
Level Contributor
870 posts
147 reviews
77 helpful votes
1. Re: Cycle route
Save

I'll forgive you just this once bob, for your land grab on our beautiful South Norfolk!!

I found this ....should be enough to aid further research.

One thousand “Millennium Mileposts” made from cast iron were funded by the Royal Bank of Scotland to mark the creation of the National Cycle Network, and these are found along the NCN routes throughout the UK. there are four different types:

“Fossil Tree” (designed by John Mills) – The post takes the form of an abstract tree with relief imagery of fossils depicting the passage of time from early primitive creatures to the ultimate demise of fossil fuel driven technology

“The Cockerel” (designed by Iain McColl) – The influences behind this one are Miro’s “The Fork” and Branusci’s “The Cock”. This design has additional space that has been left for partners to cast their own short message.

“Rowe Type” (designed by Andrew Rowe) – based upon the nautical and industrial heritage of his native Swansea and can have up to four directional fingers.

“Tracks” (designed by David Dudgeon) – The main design on the post shows the tracks made in the landscape by cyclists. This is complemented by a piece of text exploring sensations and observations one makes whilst travelling through various environments

The puzzle consists of a set of coded disks placed on one thousand “Millennium Mileposts” made from cast iron. They’re designed to mark the way rather like mediaeval stone crosses. There are 50 or so unique disks, and copies are placed in every region of the network.

Edited: April 06, 2021, 4:08 am
Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Kefalonia
Level Contributor
14,003 posts
91 reviews
68 helpful votes
2. Re: Cycle route
Save

Hi Floridge,

I did look to see if Loddon had its own forum but sadly not! So sadly I temporarily moved a bit of Norfolk!

However thanks for your very informative reply. Certainly a basis for further research by me!

Cheers.

Bob

Reply to: Cycle route
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bungay
Recent Conversations
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.