We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Who wants to waste their hard earned money on a dodgy villa

manchester
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
Who wants to waste their hard earned money on a dodgy villa
Save

if you do then hire a villa through Menorca Private Owners!! After complaining whilst on holiday AND after we returned from their dirty, insect infested, mouldy villa they could not be less helpful in giving our money back. This company is a joke. Do not ever hand over any of your money to them, We took 50 photos detailing our complaints from a smelly broken fridge which was replaced with a dirty one down to mould growing out of the pans. This company is unscrupulous and cowardly, trying to blame others for their severe lack of integrity and professionalism. Please do not go near them

London, United...
Level Contributor
656 posts
8 reviews
46 helpful votes
1. Re: Who wants to waste their hard earned money on a dodgy villa
Save

Sorry to hear about your problems with the villa and the company I hope it hasn't put you off Menorca.

This kind of problem can occur when using a UK based booking agent.

Can I also say for anybody reading this the company Menorca Private Owners has nothing to do with Owners direct Menorca.

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
23,079 posts
48 reviews
74 helpful votes
2. Re: Who wants to waste their hard earned money on a dodgy villa
Save

Sounds awful. Do you want to share the name of the villa concerned ?

Cheshire
Level Contributor
3,866 posts
105 reviews
84 helpful votes
3. Re: Who wants to waste their hard earned money on a dodgy villa
Save

Same thing happened to us with a disgusting villa villa in Pou Nou through TravelMenorca and we never got a penny back despite having to rent another villa for ourselves and our guests.

We have subsequently used Owners Direct very successfully liaising directly with owners so any queries can be anwered and payment is made to them.

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
4. Re: Who wants to waste their hard earned money on a dodgy villa
Save

Come on name and shame, lol. I suppose you can help those who are yet to book

Cheshire
Level Contributor
3,866 posts
105 reviews
84 helpful votes
5. Re: Who wants to waste their hard earned money on a dodgy villa
Save

Yes it would be nice to know at least the location of the villa.

Sometimes the problem lies with the. Companies or individuals who the UK based companies entrust their villa care and cleaning to. In your case it was obviously a good deal more than this but unfortunately there are rather too many lazy and incompetent villa care companies. Several owners I know have had to change companes either through inadequate cleaning, untimely attendance or failure to carry out proper repairs even from some of the bigger advertising companies. Once they find someone good they are more than happy to stay with them.

Derby, United...
2 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
6. Re: Who wants to waste their hard earned money on a dodgy villa
Save

What this client fails to mention is they enjoyed the villa for 6 out of 10 days before making any complaint regarding the cleaning and refused an immediate upgrade to a really nice villa close by.

At Menorca Private Owners we take any complaint very seriously and our priority is the clients holiday. In the worst case if complaints are not resolved locally we will persue any reasonable complaint to obtain compensation for our clients from our owner.

However unfortunately we sometimes come across a client who will not follow our complaints proceedure, will not accept a very good alternative upgrade, or give a very good agent the opportunity to recitify a problem, and starts a complaint on day 7 out of 10 and now wants a free holiday..

Its a shame these client chose the last 4 days of their holiday not to hire a car because as all regular travellers to this lovely island know , even in rainy weather Menorca offers some fantastic attractions.

Paul Perera

Menorca Private Owners

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
23,079 posts
48 reviews
74 helpful votes
7. Re: Who wants to waste their hard earned money on a dodgy villa
Save

Thank you for explaining how you see this issue Mr Perera

Obviously nobody on here can ever know the exact facts of this issue other than the parties concerned, but it is always good to have a balanced view by being hearing both sides version of events. Obviously both parties see things differently and I hope that any dispute still remaining is resolved fairly and properly in due course

NB I think it is appropriate to mention here that it would be totally inappropriate for either party to now turn this thread into an argument about who is right and who is wrong etc. , Any posts like that would be likely to get removed by TA anyway.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
293 posts
8. Re: Who wants to waste their hard earned money on a dodgy villa
Save

I really am interested to know the name of the villa as this post is on the Binibeca forum & we have booked a villa there!..I once got a really bad one in Cala d'or Majorca but it was early days of the season I can't understand how a villa can have mouldy pans in July surely other people will have stayed there before them & used & washed them!

manchester
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
9. Re: Who wants to waste their hard earned money on a dodgy villa
Save

I agree that it would be very inappropriate for an argument to arise from this post and this is the last thing that we want to do. Is there anyway of posting the pictures as I think that they say it for themselves? Also, im really pleased that Mr Perera has put a comment on Tripadvisor as he will not reply to the emails that we are now sending to attempt to resolve the issue.

Unfortunately we had a terrible holiday on a lovely island (we did indeed hire a car to explore and found the island and people lovely) and it is not a 'free' holiday that we are looking for, we wish to be refunded for the condition of a villa which from the company mentions to be a 'home from home'. We would actually be happy with just half of our money back. In this country, that villa would be condemned by the Health & Safety Authority (sadly they have advised me that they cant do anything when the property is abroad) due to the condition of it, we just thank God we didnt have children with us!

The villa is Binibecca nou 46 (their reference VN30) for the people who wish for us to name it and Im only posting this so that other people dont make the same mistake as what we did. Please when booking a villa make sure that the company is ATOL or ABTA approved, at least then you are protected by a governing body.

We are still waiting for a response to our last email that we sent at the beginning of July from the company that we used and we have asked for it to be forwarded to the owner of the villa as they might not be aware of the issues that we encountered. We are not the type of people to complain unnecessarily but it took us a long time to save for what will be our one and only holiday and to receive such poor service was a real kick in the teeth.

This is the first time we have encountered such a horrific holiday and will hopefully be the last.

I have to say that we will return to the island but will make sure we do a lot more research into the company that we book with.

I honestly do hope that others do not experience what we did.

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
3,214 posts
10. Re: Who wants to waste their hard earned money on a dodgy villa
Save

You should not 'libel' a villa owner company in a public forum period.

Get answers to your questions about Binibeca
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.