We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local businesses

Oldham Lancashire
Level Contributor
108 posts
11 reviews
30 helpful votes
Local businesses
Save

Hi, we have been coming to Binibeca for a few years and have come to love it. We were booked to come out in May but that’s not going to happen now but I’m thinking about delaying the holiday by twelve months. What worries me is how many bars, restaurants and supermarkets will have survived by then. What do you guys that live out there think?

21 replies to this topic
Son Bou, Spain
Destination Expert
for Menorca
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
110 reviews
64 helpful votes
1. Re: Local businesses
Save

Hi. It is a good question and one that is pretty difficult to answer right now. None of us have been allowed out except to go to the supermarket, pharmacy and health facilities and have not been able to talk with people as we normally would. So, trying to get a feel for how hard restauranteurs will be hit and how many can survive is not really possible. There have been a few articles from business owners in the daily papers, most are pessimistic. My guess is that some, which have just been dependent on tourism, could go under. The longer established restaurants and bars that have always opened year round and are frequented by locals stand more of a chance. Tbh, it’s all just guess work right now.

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
3,232 posts
2. Re: Local businesses
Save

( don't live on Menorca )

There are about 3-4 folks here that live on the island , one has replied above

As you might suspect the answer is pretty impossible at this stage. People near retirement might just decide to call time, some will close due to death, Bars and Restaurants - many pay private Landlord rents. Sorry I don't know which premises are self owned

Cheshire
Level Contributor
3,887 posts
105 reviews
84 helpful votes
3. Re: Local businesses
Save

Spanish Tourism Minister reported today as saying 2020 season is lost and tourism, culture, leisure and airlines will be the last to return to normality after the start of 2021. Some local reports in Menorca suggest 30-50% of bars and restaurants won't survive.

Edited: 1 year ago
Oldham Lancashire
Level Contributor
108 posts
11 reviews
30 helpful votes
4. Re: Local businesses
Save

Hi, on reflection I realise my post was a bit stupid in the current circumstances. I think I was just hoping for a microbe of positivity from the people living out there. Thanks for your replies and stay safe people.

Son Bou, Spain
Destination Expert
for Menorca
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
110 reviews
64 helpful votes
5. Re: Local businesses
Save

Cheers. Stay well yourselves 🤗

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,248 posts
6. Re: Local businesses
Save

FYI. Ideas are being discussed...

https://www.majorcadailybulletin.com/news/local/2020/04/18/65769/menorca-restaurants-looking-august-start.html

The issue remains allowed to open and can open could be two different things. Rental , fixed cost commitments with no income. Most bar/restaurant folks are not wealthy , few maybe

Cheshire
Level Contributor
3,887 posts
105 reviews
84 helpful votes
7. Re: Local businesses
Save

Today's Diario suggests tourism will first open up to locals then to inhabitants of Ibiza and Mallorca and finally to those from the Peninsula but only by boat. They expect it to be five monthe before connectivity with the peninsula is fully restored by air. French are saying it will be 2022 before any normality can return to tourism.

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
3,232 posts
8. Re: Local businesses
Save

As reported above - the most likely scenario is where local traceability is more possible You need to be able to trust who comes into your space.

To be blunt you only would go to a bar/restaurant to put things in your mouth and how can you be sure that what ever you touch/consume is safe in that scenario?

Most toilets would have to be shared spaces you could almost never keep safe from cross infection?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,114 posts
214 reviews
336 helpful votes
9. Re: Local businesses
Save

At#8, a return to wider activity, bars, cafes ect will indeed present risks that will need to be managed, the actual scale of those risks is harder to evaluate.

But eventually why should those prepared to open to customers who are willing to manage those risks not be entitled to that opportunity.

At some stage in the near future people will want to make some choices of their own, whilst minimising their impact on those that make other choices.

Atb steve

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
3,232 posts
10. Re: Local businesses
Save

re#9 It's a huge Dilemma for sure

my concern is that people make the choice with eyes wide open. If you had contact tracing could someone then sue the bar/restaurant as it was sourced as a cross contamination location?

Should we bring our own plates , glasses and cutlery and take them away again??? - it can sure start to get very 'complex'

Horrible times in so many ways for sure...

Stage one allow the kids outside their small flats? - must be so tough for them ( and family )

Reply to: Local businesses
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Binibeca
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.