We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Menorcan gin......

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
34 reviews
27 helpful votes
Menorcan gin......
Save

hello we are due in Menorca for the first time in September, we have only recently started to drink gin (having been Bacardi drinkers ) we have heard there is a gin distillery on the island and would like to know of any reports on the "Menorcan gin" or do we stick with good old blue sapphire. many thanks.

Torquay, United...
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
20 reviews
13 helpful votes
1. Re: Menorcan gin......
Save

If you like blue sapphire you will love Xoriguer. It is readily available at supermarkets and hotels. Will be cheaper than your usual. Around 15 euros for 70cl.

The gin factory itself is on mahon harbour and you can free tasters of the various flavours.

I am on my last bottle but thankfully due out in 9 days so will top up again.

There is also a new one being made on the island too. Can't remember what it's called but will be giving that a try too.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
45 reviews
46 helpful votes
2. Re: Menorcan gin......
Save

Pomada is Fanta lemon (or similar) with Gin. Very nice, very easy to drink!

Visit the Gin factory along the harbour and you can try the Gin and other liqueurs for free.

Alnwick, United...
Destination Expert
for S'Algar
Level Contributor
3,812 posts
52 reviews
35 helpful votes
3. Re: Menorcan gin......
Save

I'm with Amanda on Mahon gin ! Can't wait to get it . Yes there's a new gin called Innet , was I think €30 , but I saw it only in airport , think it's made in Alaior

Dorchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
42 reviews
42 helpful votes
4. Re: Menorcan gin......
Save

The Xorigeur local gin is my favourite but does have its own special flavour and to me is nothing like Gordon's, Bombay Sapphire, Tesco's own etc!! Very 'herby' overtones.I saw it made it into a recent list of 50 best gins in the world. The closest in flavour I have found is Mare gin - which is also made in Spain and is quite a bit more expensive.

Pomada is gin with bitter lemon.

Edited: 3 years ago
Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
34 reviews
27 helpful votes
5. Re: Menorcan gin......
Save

Thanks Amanda liking the sound of local gin and definetley a visit to the gin shop on the cards.......first time in menorca .

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
170 posts
35 reviews
3 helpful votes
6. Re: Menorcan gin......
Save

I have a bottle of Mahon that we have been sampling. Unusually, Xoriguer is made in wood-fired potstills from distilled wine (eau-de-vie) rather than the more usual grain-based distillate used in most gins. It is also rested in American oak barrels. I find the juniper, while present, to be more subdued than in Sapphire and I think the grape-based distillate brings out some floral notes. It is a nice gin and I think touring the distillery will be a blast. Perhaps you can report back?

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
23,079 posts
48 reviews
74 helpful votes
7. Re: Menorcan gin......
Save

The distillery down on the Mahon quayside was rather disappointing when I last went. I was expecting a tour around a modern distillery but as the "recipe" for Xoriguer gin is supposedly top secret , you do not get much of a view of the processes and the main point of the place is pretty much as a tasting showroom.

If you like your booze the wine tour at Binifadet near San Luis is quite interesting - you get to go around the vineyard, have the process explained and see both the presses and the maturing wines downstairs followed by a tasting session!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
937 posts
17 reviews
130 helpful votes
8. Re: Menorcan gin......
Save

Oh good, back to the important stuff; where can you buy cheap fags to go with the gin ?,

tia

DC

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
937 posts
17 reviews
130 helpful votes
9. Re: Menorcan gin......
Save

... and what will the weather be like in October.

tia

DC

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
23,079 posts
48 reviews
74 helpful votes
10. Re: Menorcan gin......
Save

Not everybody who likes Menorcan gin smokes Digger - I cant stand fags myself!

Get answers to your questions about Binibeca
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.