We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Supermarkets shop when we arrive at a villa

london
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Supermarkets shop when we arrive at a villa
Save

Hello, we are visiting Binibeca in August and studying in a villa. We arrive midday and need advice whether we can buy enough food for the first day at a local supermarket, we are planning to visit one of the larger supermarkets that night to do the big weekly shop.

We did look into having one of the supermarkets deliver our shop but we like to choose our food in person and this seems an expensive options. Funds are tight and there will be 10 of us in the villa.

We were just planning to settle into the villa first day and chill as there will be 3 small children with us.

Many thanks for the advice

Anne-marie

St Austell, United...
Level Contributor
7,687 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
1. Re: Supermarkets shop when we arrive at a villa
Save

Even when our 3 kids were still with us a main shop is number 1 priority - it's only a worry if there is a late arrival - which we tend to avoid anyway. I wasn't going to impose our habits on you until I saw the bit about tight budget - drop your cases and trip off to Mercadona and get your shopping in.

After that you can just breathe a big sigh of relief without having to drag yourself out in the evening of a long day. The whole holiday is yours!

Also - I know it's big touristy island which will sway things a bit, but in general Spanish hardly ever go shopping in the afternoon siesta time, whereas the evenings can be really busy. Normally we have a supermarket almost to ourselves - except last time when we arrived around 7.30 pm/8pm. The Mercadona in Sonseca, Toledo was absolutely packed going up to 9pm!!

london
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Supermarkets shop when we arrive at a villa
Save

Hello John

Thanks for your advice. My daughter and I will plan to do the big shop that afternoon then. The men can watch the little ones and the teenagers can help look after them as well.

How far away is the supermarket that you recommended from Binibeca? I had only heard of the Eroski one.

Everyone will be hungry by the time we arrive after our 7am flight so we are planning to bring lots of the snacks and sandwiches on the plane.

We have never visited Menorca before so would love to hear of any lovely Restarants and places you and your family have enjoyed. My 2 yr old grandson is disabled and will be in his special needs buggy so we will be using taxi when travelling out and about with him and his twin sister. Like can we walk to the local beach etc

Many thanks

Anne-marie

Cheshire
Level Contributor
3,866 posts
105 reviews
84 helpful votes
3. Re: Supermarkets shop when we arrive at a villa
Save

There is a terrific supermarket really near to where you are staying called Sa Botiga at S'Uestra. It is not one of the chains and if you take the short cut from the airport to Binibeca it is en route. Definitely worth a visit at some time during your stay and there is a little bar attached that does authentic, cheap tapas.

For a big shop I do like Mercadona and they have a great inexpensive range of toiletries and makeup, however no cafe or magazines and newspapers and a bit further into the industrial estate if you choose to go the long way round to Binibeca.

The supermarket most people use is Binipreu. There are some good reasons for using it. First you come to it directly after the obelisk from the airport, the parking is underground so no suitcases on show, it is a Menorcan company so putting money into the local economy and the produce is local. Also it is large, modern and has cafe downstairs, restaurant upstairs(very inexpensive) clothing on 1st floor and best opening hours of any. The Eroski just outside San Luis also has a cafe for budget eats. A bit Lidl like for my taste but certainly not expensive if you choose their own brands.

St Austell, United...
Level Contributor
7,687 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
4. Re: Supermarkets shop when we arrive at a villa
Save

Funnily enough I've just looked for this 2 minutes ago as we go there in October, same end of the island.

The big Mercadona is on the outskirts of Mahon (you don't have to go in) at the corner of Avenida de Europa and Carrer de Curniola, coordinates

39 53 07.9 N

004 14 10.5 E

I'd be surprised if that was more than 10 minutes from you, though I haven't got my bearings yet obviously. Looks like about 7 km as the crow flies

Edited: 3 years ago
london
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Supermarkets shop when we arrive at a villa
Save

Thank you everyone for your advice, it is much appreciated. Only 35 days till we arrive and we are all bery excited

6. Re: Supermarkets shop when we arrive at a villa

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: July 22, 2018, 1:17 pm
Get answers to your questions about Binibeca
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.