We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Mendig from Ireland

Cork, Ireland
8 posts
Save Topic
Getting to Mendig from Ireland

Hello,

I am travelling to the Rock am Ring music festival in Mendig this june (5th-7th) from Ireland. I'm having some difficulty planning the travelling as i don't speak german.. so far the only options i can see are to fly from Dublin to Frankfurt Hahn airport and then it's about an hour by bus to Mendig? Would this be the easiest way to get to Mendig Airfield? I was on the De Bahn website but i'm very confused.. Would anyone be able to give more information like what bus number to get from Frankfurt Hahn airport and prices etc.. thanks a mill :)

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
5 replies to this topic
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,932 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Mendig from Ireland

> then it's about an hour by bus to Mendig? Would this be the easiest way to get to Mendig Airfield

It would - if such a bus service would exist.

a) you could travel there by public transport

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Start: HHN

Destination: Flugplatz, Mendig

and select as means of transport "only local transport".

VRM tariff applies, single ticket is EUR 11,30.

Potential problems:

No train service to Mendig during the festival on the request of the organizer of Rock am Ring. Reason is that the railroad is between the airfield and the parking areas. The trains and buses there are also to serve the normal demand of this rather remote area. Not a city of 90.000 (RaR visitors).

b) bus to Koblenz Hbf, shuttle buses from there.

Query - as above with

Destination: Koblenz Hbf

The timetable for the shuttle buses is not yet out. If it is out it will be shown/linked on this page

https://www.rock-am-ring.com/info/anreise

in the section "Sonderbusverkehr von Koblenz Hbf".

Bus 610 from Hahn Airport (HHN) to Koblenz is EUR 11,30 (that's due the VRM fare structure which has a flat fare for 10 or more fare zones). The shuttle buses will most likely cost extra as they won't fall under the VRM tariff. Albeit they will be operated by Rhein-Mosel-Bus which operates also the line 610 from Hahn to Koblenz. To use these shuttle buses from Koblenz Hbf is the option recommended on the RaR website. This should work well as Rhein-Mosel-Bus operated these shuttle buses also in the past years from Koblenz Hbf to the Nürburgring.

Alternatives to Hahn Airport:

1. Cologne/Bonn Airport (CGN)

Train to Neuwied (EUR 11,30), bus to Flugplatz Mendig (EUR 6,75). Served hourly on workdays, 2-hourly on Sa or Su or public holidays (4th June 2015).

2. further alternative are Düsseldorf (DUS) or Frankfurt (FRA) airports. Will push however the travel time to 3 hours and the transfer will also cost more.

Mentioned in this post
Koblenz
Koblenz
Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany
Hahn
Hahn
Cologne
Cologne
North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
Neuwied
Neuwied
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Cork, Ireland
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Mendig from Ireland

Thank you abalada!

Wow this is a lot harder than I thought it would be! I can't believe there is no train service to Mendig during the festival :O I have found flying from Dublin to Cologne might be cheaper but i was relying on the info on thetrainline-europe.com so now i'll have to start again! thank you for you detailed information I really appreciate it :)

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Cologne
Cologne
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,932 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Mendig from Ireland

> I can't believe there is no train service to Mendig during the festival :O

And this due the festival itself ;-o

But they want to watch how the visitors flows will be and if they can take measures next year which would allow to run trains to Mendig.

Mendig train station as such is quite impressive from the road side

bahnbilder.de/bilder/kaiserbahnhof-mendig-be…

On the rail side it does however not look like it is used to or planned for larger crowds.

…kallisti.at/d/…20Mendig.JPG

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,932 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Mendig from Ireland

Query for Cologne/Bonn Airport to Mendig airfield.

Start: CGN

Destination: Flugplatz, Mendig

> Train to Neuwied (EUR 11,30)

buy from the ticket machines at the airport train station. Single trip ticket VRS price level 5.

> bus to Flugplatz Mendig (EUR 6,75)

buy from the ticket machines at Neuwied train station. While buying from the bus driver is also possible, they are not enthusiastic if you do so at stops where there are ticket machines. Single trip ticket VRM price level 6.

Mentioned in this post
Cologne
Cologne
Neuwied
Neuwied
Cork, Ireland
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Mendig from Ireland

Apologies for the delay in replying I didn't get any notification that you had replied!

Thanks again for the information :D I have booked Dublin to Cologne and will use the public transport you've suggested!

Many thanks,

Lorna

Edited: May 26, 2015, 5:34 am
Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Cologne
Cologne
Reply to: Getting to Mendig from Ireland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted