We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AVOID this taxi service if you can (K. & H. Taxi & Limo)!!!

GM
1 post
1 review
AVOID this taxi service if you can (K. & H. Taxi & Limo)!!!
Save

We took this taxi service from the airport and the driver was a nice guy, or so I thought. After a $50 fare, I tipped them $30 because he couldn't break a $100. Not ideal, but ok - we were happy to support the badly hit tourism industry.

Apparently, as I was getting out, I mistakenly left my cell phone in the van. Luckily, I had a biz card and realized within 5 minutes or less. The hotel called immediately, and he said he was already heading back to the airport - fair enough, I could live without my phone for a bit until he could return.

Hours later, after multiple calls, another driver (Keith Robinson) who said he was the owner arrived. He was standoffish and literally held my phone ransom and asked me "what is your phone worth to you?" I was BLOWN AWAY! He basically wasn't giving me my phone back without another tip. I explained the above and he then said, "I didn't even need to come out here for this". At that point I grabbed my phone and begrudgingly gave him a $20. He then accused me of "pushing the money at him" (whatever that even means).

Long story short, AVOID this service if you can! There are PLENTY of great transportation services in T&C.

18 replies to this topic
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
18,441 posts
34 reviews
82 helpful votes
1. Re: AVOID this taxi service if you can (K. & H. Taxi & Limo)!!!
Save

$50 fare for 2 of you? If staying at Grace Bay resort are you were doubly charged!

Should have been $23 for 2

I too have had run ins with cabs on island, but I’m well traveled there and knew better

I always recommend renting a car—cheaper in the end

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
81 reviews
42 helpful votes
2. Re: AVOID this taxi service if you can (K. & H. Taxi & Limo)!!!
Save

Wow, thanks for the tip.

Providenciales
Level Contributor
409 posts
3. Re: AVOID this taxi service if you can (K. & H. Taxi & Limo)!!!
Save

Taxis on Island are the local mafia. There is/or was a sign on the wall when you exit the arrival area with a price to each hotel! Good luck with that one, they make it up as they go along. $23 for two to anywhere in Grace Bay??? Ya right. I have never paid less than $20 to Turtle cove for one. There is a reason people that live on Island trouble their friends to pick them up at the airport and why I pay Grace bay car rental for their concierge service!!!

JBM
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
520 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: AVOID this taxi service if you can (K. & H. Taxi & Limo)!!!
Save

$20’sounds cheap to me, move on.

Grand Turk
Level Contributor
5,927 posts
5 reviews
6 helpful votes
5. Re: AVOID this taxi service if you can (K. & H. Taxi & Limo)!!!
Save

#3. You’re correct. The fares shared here are incorrect. It’s $33.00 for 2 people to central resorts and $38.00 for 2 to eastern resorts...all in the main GB area.

http://www.wherewhenhow.com/images/turks-caicos-islands/transport/taxi-rates-providenciales-2014.pdf

Edited: April 15, 2021, 12:46 pm
Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos, Grace Bay, Grand Turk
Level Contributor
15,137 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
6. Re: AVOID this taxi service if you can (K. & H. Taxi & Limo)!!!
Save

I would be angry too. You'd over-paid(got bilked) a $50 taxi fare, $30(60%) tip? & a $20 hostage phone fee? That's a $100 one-way ticket(about 8 miles) to get from the airport to your base-of-operations in probably the Grace Bay area? This would be a trip spoiler in Dr. Jim's book. Agent007🕵️

Edited: April 15, 2021, 2:03 pm
Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
6,736 posts
10 reviews
9 helpful votes
7. Re: AVOID this taxi service if you can (K. & H. Taxi & Limo)!!!
Save

No question this person was grossly overcharged.

#3,and #5, yes $23.00 for two is possible if staying in Wymara or the Bight. Says right on that handy dandy little chart that no-one uses, $23 to the Gansevoort/Bight. Shows how old that chart really is, how long ago was Gansevoort changed to the Wymara?

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
1,151 posts
10 reviews
24 helpful votes
8. Re: AVOID this taxi service if you can (K. & H. Taxi & Limo)!!!
Save

Dear GM, Please don't let this ruin your trip. I hope you have wonderful experiences that will make this highway robbery a thing of the past. Most people on the island are wonderful and kind.

I'm glad you posted this and hope this taxi guy gets his comeuppance!

Enjoy your stay!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
18,441 posts
34 reviews
82 helpful votes
9. Re: AVOID this taxi service if you can (K. & H. Taxi & Limo)!!!
Save

#5– $50 to anywhere is incorrect!!!!

It’s $43 to Leeward marina (walkin’) the furthest. Only Amanyara and Northwest point are more

It’s $23 to the resorts in the Bight, so it’s not incorrect

#3 is correct, unless you think to look they do make up fares

$50 is outrageous regardless of where going, he was scammed

He was doubly scammed when no change for a $100. How convenient.

I personally have had run ins with taxi drivers, I just happen to know better. Including 2019 of your precious Kalvin. Yes it was kalvin who tried to overcharge me then, but I knew better.

Stop trying to discredit my actual real experiences

You’ve never been scammed, good for you, but doesn’t take away from others having been so.

And I have a friend that got stood up by kalvin trying to go to airport

If you keep trying to discredit me I’ll keep repeating what actually has happened to me and my friends with real experiences

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
1,151 posts
10 reviews
24 helpful votes
10. Re: AVOID this taxi service if you can (K. & H. Taxi & Limo)!!!
Save

Good for you, Blamona, for standing your ground!!

I do want to say that renting a car in Provo is not for everyone. People have different comfort levels with driving on the left side and with steering wheels on the left or right! I think everyone should use their best judgement in making this decision and appreciate there are no traffic lights in Provo, and you have to learn to negotiate the roundabouts and "Give Way" signs.

I personally love having a car and not being dependent on taxis.

Reply to: AVOID this taxi service if you can (K. & H. Taxi & Limo)!!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Grace Bay
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.