We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking Backpack/Carrier for Toddler (Alomst 3)??? Any Ideas?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Hiking Backpack/Carrier for Toddler (Alomst 3)??? Any Ideas?

We are going to Yellowstone this summer.

I am looking for a backpack/carrier to put my almost 3 yr old in when we do long hikes.

I have a cloth carrier that we use but he really does not like it because it pulls him snug to my back. So, I'm looking for a backpack that has a frame, where he can sit and relax.

Right now he weights about 35 pounds and is 40 inches tall. I'm having a hard time finding one that is for older toddlers.

I really don't want a super expensive one with tons of bells and whistles. This will probably be the only time he uses it.

Any ideas? I'm watching eBay.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
33,615 posts
62 reviews
1. Re: Hiking Backpack/Carrier for Toddler (Alomst 3)??? Any Ideas?

35 pounds is 16 kg. This one is rated to 23 kg, so you might want to look at it. MEC does online ordering and its good quality outdoor gear.

mec.ca/product/…

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
33,615 posts
62 reviews
2. Re: Hiking Backpack/Carrier for Toddler (Alomst 3)??? Any Ideas?

Oh boo, can't be shipped to the US.

But maybe you can find a US supplier for the same product. Have you tried REI?

These are popular products, so if you buy one new, you can be pretty safe to resell afterwards. I know MEC has a buyback program for kids stuff.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
3. Re: Hiking Backpack/Carrier for Toddler (Alomst 3)??? Any Ideas?

Thanks, Yes I have tried REI. They have some but I wasn't sure if they would fit older toddlers. I guess I'll have to drive a couple of hours and test them in person.

Thanks!

Calgary
Level Contributor
1,263 posts
65 reviews
4. Re: Hiking Backpack/Carrier for Toddler (Alomst 3)??? Any Ideas?

Shari

We always used an Ergo soft carrier in Bolivia, Honduras, Peru etc etc

IMHO the hard frames are more marketed to the parents than the needs of the kids. If your child is 3 years, you can use the Ergo 'loose' so the child can look around and participate more .....

Packing is also 10x easier .....

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
46,187 posts
44 reviews
5. Re: Hiking Backpack/Carrier for Toddler (Alomst 3)??? Any Ideas?

Not cheap, but the best carrier I used for my kids was a Ridgeway by Kelty - very heavy duty, used until my kids were around 4. They make a few different models - I bought one for my grandchild a few years ago, still an excellent product and well worth your investment. I used mine all the time . . . chores around the house, shopping/walking, as well as more active hiking & backpacking. Got one at REI.

http://www.rei.com/search.html?ir=q%3Akelty+carrier&page=1&q=kelty+carrier

You could always resell after your trip if you don't think you will use again. They don't lose their value - I have seen people selling used ones for not much less than paying for new.

6. Re: Hiking Backpack/Carrier for Toddler (Alomst 3)??? Any Ideas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: April 24, 2016, 2:15 pm