We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Bags for Golf Clubs

Mission, Canada
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Bags for Golf Clubs

Glad to see the new Golf forum.

I shall likely be hanging out here in the future. I don't play that much, as the cost here has been increasing ... but I have re-invested into new clubs and bag over the last couple of years hoping I would get the chance to travel and play more. I even bought a new Armoured travel case for my clubs.

Which brings me to my question(s). How many others here use armoured travel bags / cases for their clubs? If you don't, what other types of travel bags for your clubs do you use ... IF you are taking your clubs on vacation with you?

Edited: April 13, 2010, 11:45 pm
Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara
Level Contributor
8,868 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Bags for Golf Clubs

Slightly off topic, but I came to find the way they handlled caddie bags very different at different airports: in one (Cairns Australia) yours were treated as valuables, in another like sort of trash... Felt like crying myself when mine got out of the carrousel with a big dent...

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,688 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Bags for Golf Clubs

I have used a few different travel bags. Early on, I used a big duffle bag that was desinged to carry a large caddie/cart bag. But this was an over-the-shoulder thing that was difficult to carry particulary with other luggage (I ended up dragging the thing, which was not much better).

Next I went to a travel "bag", which was a hard plastic tube with a hard, enclosed tube cover. No fear of damaged clubs, but it was not the most practical bag once you got on the course. Also and over-the-shoulder gig, and while lighter and easier to lug around, still not ideal.

I now have a soft-sided travel bag that holds my golf bag, clubs, shoes and all the other stuff needed to hack up a course. I think it is made my Maxfli. Roller bag, so very easy to get around with. It has extra padding that wraps around the club heads for added protection. This is the way to go, IMO.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,867 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Bags for Golf Clubs

I've used many different types through the years. I find the hard cases are best for protecting equipment, but a pain in the a** when it's time to put them into the car. Cases with roller wheels are easier than those without. My favorite is the big soft sided bag by Club Glove. It really is worth the price.

New York
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Bags for Golf Clubs

I also now use the Club Glove and find it is easier to handle than many others. It has wheels and extra space for shoes and even a little bit of clothing if necessary. I usually wrap my golf towel around my club heads for a little added protection.

Mission, Canada
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Bags for Golf Clubs

Thanks for the replies thus far.

NOTE #1 I did a LOT of research a couple of years back before investing in the armoured travel case I have now. I was advised by one VERY avid golfer at work to get a tube, especially for lots of air travel, as it fits in most any car trunk / boot.

But after much consideration, given my recent investment in the clubs and accessories, I wanted something hard, light and lockable. Plus, the case came with a manufacturer's "insurance policy" on contents. Couldn't resist it!

NOTE #2 I made sure that the case lock was a TSA approved lock. Wish it was a combination lock, but it wasn't.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,871 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel Bags for Golf Clubs

I used to take my clubs with me and have a hard case with wheels for that purpose. But now days with the fees tha airlines charge, and the hassle of dragging the case around and fitting it in the rental car, I just leave them home and rent clubs at my destination. With the state of my game (definitely NOT a low handicapper) it's not critical to have my own sticks anyway.

Mission, Canada
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel Bags for Golf Clubs

Luckily for me, WestJet, the airline with which I frequently fly does not charge anything extra - as yet - for over-sized sporting gear (bags), as long as it does not exceed the weight limit of normal checked bags.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,787 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel Bags for Golf Clubs

We just returned from a golfing vacation, yesterday, in Nuevo Vallarta and have travelled with our clubs all over. As, CTW mentioned, Westjet counts it as a regular bag at no charge.

We used to take a hard-sided roller, but we have gradually degenerated into simply taking our clubs in top covered carry bags, with no ill effects at all, to our suprise and delight. More and more, even in Canada, we find cabs and truck getting smaller (especially the hybrid cars) a find the smaller the better. The big roller bags are unwieldy.

New York
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel Bags for Golf Clubs

LOL luv2travelnow - My friends all laughed at me when I picked my current car, in part, based on the ability for my clubs to fit in the trunk and lie flat.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,787 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel Bags for Golf Clubs

Well wanderingattorney, DH and I have an agreement. He can have a convertible sports car, as long as TWO sets of clubs will fit in the trunk.......

Edited: April 16, 2010, 7:08 am